Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:48:10 -0500

If you haven't bought the new (it came out about 1 1/2 years ago) Spice
and Spirit for Passover then I would check it out. It is much bigger
than the old one (although they did not eliminate the old recipes). I
have found that this book is the best in-print source of gf, kosher for
passover recipes.

Check the celiac list archives under Passover. There are many posts
about products but there are several that give a selection of recipes
for "matzah balls" using things like a potato latke mix, poultry
stuffing or kiske. I would go back at least 3 years for a decent
selection.

For the past 3 Passover's I have made the following "cracker".

Mock Matzah
This recipe originally came from the Jewish Chronical in an article
written fy Evelyn Rose in 1998. I have added my comments from my own
experience and that of others that have tried the recipe/  One person
even made it inot the size of a regular matzha since he could not have
regular matzah.  it is a surprisingly tasty cracker.

1/3 cup potato starch flour
1/3 cup (50g) ground almonds (see NOTE)
2 Tablespoons olive oil (use any oil available)
4 Tablespoons water (keep 2 in reserve)
pinch of salt (optional)

Preheat the oven to 450oF.
Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and grease with oil. Or just use
the aluminum foil. They come off the foil without cracking since the
foil peels off easily.
Mix together the potato starch flour, ground almonds and salt.
Mix together the oil and 2 Tablespoons of water, slowly add the dry
ingredietns using a fork to mix the dough (add the reserved water if too
dry, dough should hold together but not be sticky).
Knead the mixture and form a ball (if sticky, add a little potato starch
flour).
Take walnut size pieces of the dough and flatten onto the cookie sheet.
Makes them about 2 1/2 inches round. Prick with fork and bake for 10
minutes. (I now don't usually prick them). DO NOT OVERBAKE.  They taste
better when they appear slightly undercooked--the top should still be
white with the edges just browning.
Makes approximately 14  2 1/2 inch round crackers.

NOTE: Do not grind the almonds very fine, it is better if it has larger
pieces.  DO NOT use only the commercially ground almonds because they
are too fine, you may want to mix the commercially ground almonds eith
some hand crushed pieces.  I usually use a hammer to crush the whole
almonds and this seems to be the right size. You don't need to remove
the skin.

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA