From:
NANCY MELISSA LUTZ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 11:37:20 -0500

Dear all,
     I would like to second Scott Adams message
about posting product information. There are three
kinds of replies to requests for information on this
list which are totally -non-helpful. They are:

1. The food is evil/you are evil for eating it
   (e.g. margarine) so you shouldn't be eating it
   anyway.

2. I had a reaction (of whatever kind) to this food,
   therefore it must contain gluten.

3. I did not have a reaction to this food, therefore
   it does not contain gluten. (This is usually followed
   by "and I'm very sensitive to gluten so I would know").

Gluten is an -ingredient- in food, not some mystical
substance. The only appropriate answer is from the
manufacturer themselves.

The only possible place where the above answers could
possibly be construed as helpful is with manufacturers like
Kraft who are legally protecting themselves by saying
that virtually everything they make might not be
gluten-free. Even, here, though, it seems like for every
response saying "I did not react" there is one saying
"I did react" so that doesn't help much either.

I really truly think we should stick to only posting
verified manufacturer information on this list. If people
want to send "advice" privately, that is their prerogative,
but having received all of the above "advice" myself on
questions I have asked, I have rarely found it helpful.

Thanks,
Nancy (St Louis)