From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2006 07:19:32 -0400
<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

I didn’t get too many responses from my post the other day but I’m thinking
it was a problem with my header title.  Everyone might have thought I was
just concerned that coffee could have gluten and didn’t even read my post.
So, I changed my title to make it a little more clearer.  My question was
around a recent study that showed a reduction in liver damage in alcoholics
when they also drank coffee.  Thus, is there some beneficial factor in
coffee that helps our livers and should we celiacs start including coffee
in our daily diet?

Here’s the link to the article:
http://tinyurl.com/hfhgw

If you have any information or thoughts, I will post another summary.

Most of you should know we celiacs are also at risk for liver damage.  This
damage is NOT just from our pre-celiac gluten eating days but also could
occur from the toxins our body absorbs post-celiac diagnosis and on a gf
diet (probably to a lesser extent, I would think).  The reason I say this,
is the theory our guts are more permeable and, if true, then all the
processed foods with additives, preservatives, molds, etc. could be
overtaxing our livers (which purifies these toxins from our bodies).  So, I
was trying to find out if this study on the benefits of drinking coffee for
alcoholics would also benefit us.  Of course, we should try to eat only
pure foods.  However, our lives are already challenging enough! So, if we
can indulge in a little processed food for convenience or pleasure but
balance this with coffee drinking then maybe this is a win-win?

My favorite and most encouraging response is from Carolyn, so thank you
again for sharing your story!  Also, Mia shared with me that her doctor
just prescribe that she drink a 1/2 cup of coffee 3 to 4 times/day because
of our risk to toxins (as I mentioned above).  Finally, Bev had lots of
good information on the effects of coffee and Thiamine.   Thanks again for
sharing your stories and information, this is so helpful to all of us!

Warm Regards,
Janet Kline
Charlotte, NC
The Queen City
www.charlotte-celiac-connection.org
*****
[Carolyn] With regard to your posting about coffee drinking and reduced
risk of liver disease, coffee is very high in anti-oxidants, which is
probably one reason the liver is protected.  I come from a Scandanavian
background and started to have coffee occasionally from 12 years of age on.
As an adult I have always drank 2 to 4 cups of coffee daily.  I have had
Celiac's Disease since I was a child but wasn't diagnosed until last year.
Finally, at the age of 65 I knew what I had suffered from for years.  My
doctor did a liver function test and said I had the liver function of a
CHILD!!  I couldn't believe it, but now that I read the article that you
posted I can imagine why.  Coffee drinking is healthy so do continue with
it.
*****
Everything in moderation!  While I can't find the source right now, coffee,
both regular and decaf, contains a chemical that depletes thiamine.
Thiamine is required to run the Citric Acid Cycle (the Krebs Cycle for
those of us who took biology in the dark ages)...No thiamine, No energy, No
life...

The amount of thiamine required in one's diet is in large part carbohydrate
dependent since the Citric Acid cycle converts glucose into energy
(ATP)...While g.f. products are usually high in simple carbs, there are
relative few great sources of thiamin and few g.f. products are enriched w/
it. In addition, thiamine seems to be pretty picky about it's
environment...acidic rather than basic, killed off by heat, etc...so even
supplementing does not guarantee adequate intake.

More information at http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic221.htm
and http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic229.htm
Vitamin B1 - B1 or thiamin, is required for the metabolism of
carbohydrates. It is thought that 0.5 mg of thiamin per 1,000 kcal is
adequate to meet the needs of the general healthy population, although an
intake of at least 1.0 mg is recommended by the National Research Council
even for individuals consuming less than 2,000 cal/day. The RDA for men
between the ages of 19 and 50 is 1.5 mg, and for women the RDA is 1.1 mg.
The RDA for older men and women (51 years and older) is 1.2 and 1.0 mg,
respectively, reflecting their somewhat lower energy intake.

Thiamin is widely distributed in foods, but most contain only low
concentrations of this vitamin. Yeasts (dried brewer's and baker's) are
particularly good sources, but cereals represent the most important dietary
sources of thiamin in most diets. There are a number of heat-stable thiamin
antagonists in food, such as polyphenols
(caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid, and tannic acid) and flavonoids (quercitin
and rutin), that can inhibit thiamin absorption. Also, some foods, such as
raw fish, tea, betel nuts, blueberries, and red cabbage, contain
thiaminases, which are enzymes that can inactivate thiamin by altering its
structure. Excessive reliance on these foods could contribute to thiamin
deficiency. The intake of thiamin has increased fairly substantially (by
about 25%) since the early part of this century, despite a decrease in
grain consumption, because of enrichment of refined flours and cereals.
With few exceptions, studies indicate that vegetarians consume adequate
thiamin and that their thiamin status is good.

(From another source--Chlorogenic acid, an ester of caffeic acid and quinic
acid, is a major phenolic compound in coffee)

 *****
Coffee is very acidic.  It should be balanced by the alkaline foods you
also eat.

*******
*******