From:
Rebecca Markle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rebecca Markle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2017 13:24:15 -0400

I was a member of this list over 20 years ago.   I am so happy to rejoin.

I first heard about it as a friend of a friend was first diagnosed with
gluten intolerance.  Then he started to suffer from gout.   I was
discussing this with a couple of dieticians at a county fair and one of
them mentioned that her girlfriend who has rheumatoid arthritis is also
trying gluten free.

I'm not surprised, because my dad suffered terribly from gout and yet,
I'm the one who is gluten free.  I don't have gout but like him, I am
intolerant of legumes.  I can't even pick green beans without it
triggering stiffness the next day.   What is definitely curious is that
the friend of a friend who has gout has a son with the peanut allergy.

Years ago, I came across a website called Purine Research Society.org.
It was information only about something called "purine metabolic
disorder".  It originally started by parents of autistic kids whose
affected babies were secreting too much uric acid in their diapers.
The uric acid crystals present as a pink blush in the diaper.   So this
particular form...I think it's downgraded to kids with pervasive
developmental disorder can be considered as in the same family as gout
and other purine disorders.

There is only one sentence on that website that was informative to me:

> *The excessive uric acid production during the childhood of children
> with autism greatly diminishes or disappears at puberty.*
Which really blew my mind when I hit my change of life.  It's about what
happens at puberty.  The hormones kick in.   They mask the disorder.
The hormones diminish, the problem resurfaces. This would explain how it
is that gout or arthritis kick in during our fifth decade.

The other question I had was "What would autism and gout have in
common?"   I think the answer is inflammation.   I think we children of
gout or purine disorders have natural triggers for inflammation.  I
mentioned I was sensitive to legumes.  I noticed I'd get the
inflammation and bloating after soy sauce.  Then it was kidney beans.
Green beans made my feet hot and painful,  I don't know if it might be
neuropathy, they do it to me.

Not only did I start feeling more inflammation post-menopausally, my
thyroid started giving me grief.   Luckily, an endocrinologist told me
about cabbage and kale crops being the likely culprit, and I realized
that my love for fried cabbage had to cease.

So...are there other women who have the same complications? Gluten
intolerant, prone to more inflammation and thyroid issues?   Because
there's one more thing I discovered.

Some people have problems metabolizing sulfates from sulfites. In
particular, people with ulcerative colitis.   One of the ways they deal
with the problems (esp. the flatulence) is to follow a low sulfur diet.
   I recognized that I was getting more sensitive to sulfites, so I
thought I would check this diet out.  On the list was all the
cruciferous veggies, beans, coffee, orange juice, and eggs.

It's another inconvenient diet tweak, but it's helped me already.   I
had been having cognitive problems...I was spacey and passive.  Skipping
the eggs, coffee, and orange juice made a world of difference.   I
really wish I had known about this earlier, but that's why I'm talking
about it now.   All my life I had bloating, irregular bowel habits, and
inflammation that drove me to over-eat.  Now I understand why.  So I use
glutathione.   I soak in epsom salts.   I eat very simply.   I feel
much, much better.

Just wondered if anyone else had heard about this.

Rebecca

Westfied, NY