From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 12:43:19 -0500

I wrote:

>Yes, they list them here: http://www.bobsredmill.com/flours.asp
>
>But in the past there were stories of Bob's Red Mill products being
>contaminated. They sell lots of gluten containing grains, and everything is
>stone ground. I don't believe one can wash the stone between foods being
>ground. Have things changed?

I have three replies so far, which cover the possible answers. One fits in
with my recollection:

"Don't eat any of Bob's Red Mill products as they are not gluten free!!
They are contaminated from the other products they make.

I am celiac and have used their products and have gotten very sick.  At
first, I couldn't figure it out, but when I checked with the company, I
realized what the problem was.

Do not eat any of their products!!!!"

The next writes that things are going to change:

"I read someplace recently that they are in the process of constructing
a 'clean room' for the purpose of grinding and packaging gluten free
flours.  This room is separate from their other facility and has a long
hall with doors at both ends that they feel will keep the dust from
their other facility from getting into the 'clean room'.  They will soon
have flours on the market that will be clearly marked 'Gluten Free'.

"From the article I read, I believe that they also do not consider their
present flours GF even though the ingredients list may seem so.

"Now that I think about it, I believe the article was in the new issue
of Sullys Living Without.  I have been reading it this past week."

And the third takes it to the next step:

"Yes Don, Bob's has sent a recent post saying they now have a dedicated
room. I forget which post it is---perhaps an ad for the first of the
month?"

Okay. As I don't recollect this posted to the list, let me see whether I
can find some evidence that this clean room is now in effect. Let me first
search messages for the past month couple months... Here's one from Sept 13th:

"... or Bob's Red Mill--available in local groceries. Bob's flour are
currently all made in the same facilities (& equipment), and our group does
not consider them g.f.  A representative (Bob?) was at the CSA conference
promoting the fact that they were adding a new a g.f. manufacturing area
that should be in production by Jan1, 2001. (Obvious they don't consider
their current products g.f. either.)"

Well, that date hasn't yet arrived. Let me search more... That's it for the
archives. Let me check their web site.... On the Specialty Flours page all
they say is "They also are helpful for those with special dietetic or
allergy needs." No guarantee. On Tour the Mill there is a floor plan of the
mill. There is only one mill room.

So, to me the answer is soon, but not yet. Since I don't eat any grains,
I'll leave it to others to contact the company and find out just when it
goes into effect, and how long before the clean product makes it through
the supply channels.

Don.