From:
Mary Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 10:36:19 -0400

Last year some may remember that I wrote about my Mother's retirement
center not catering to her gluten free diet. This year we had a new problem
to contend with: she fell last month and broke her hip. When my sister
called nursing care facilities she made sure that the one we decided to
place her in knew about gluten intolerance and we were assured that they
did. When she began receiving oatmeal for breakfast and sandwiches for
lunch it became obvious that they didn't. I called long distance to speak
to someone in charge to complain, my sister spoke to the dietician and head
of the facility on more than one occasion. The problem still continued.
Finally we rented a small refrigerator and stocked it with items that we
knew she could safely eat in case she got a tray of forbidden food.
Thankfully my Mother doesn't have dementia or alzheimer's and knows what
she can and cannot have. What about those who don't?  This problem is scary
for those of us who might find ourselves in this same situation in the
future. Mary in NH