From:
Catherine Bertrand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:03:03 -0700

OK group, I need you guys.

We have a son, age 3, with celiac.  First biopsy, at age 2, showed
villous atrophy (despite negative bloodwork), and a second, after 6
months of gluten (at 2.5) showed none.  Not done the challenge yet, will
do when he is much older and able to decide if he wants to torture
himself with gluten to prove his diagnosis, and we are unwilling to
challenge his development at this point (he is also autistic), by
offending his immune system.  So at my daughter's recent annual check-
up, I asked for the standard celiac test, since there is that small, 15%
chance of a 1st degree relative of his having it.  She has no obvious
symptoms.  She is a picky eater, and cannot eat large amounts at one
time, she insists her tummy hurts and she is full.  30 minutes previous
she was declaring she was starving and 30 minutes later she is likely to
be asking for more food.  I do not think she has bowel symptoms but
she's been potty trained fro 2 years now (she is 5) so I don't really
know.  She LOVES to eat bread and wheat products (pasta, etc.).  She
will eat a half a loaf of bread at one sitting if I let her.  This seems
to run atypical to the idea of it hurting her gut - unless she is one of
those kids who for some reason, self-selects to the foods that are bad
for her.  Oddities about her - she is extremely bright, and I'm not just
saying that cuz I'm her mom!  Oddly bright, notices things others don't,
but isn't an autistic savant, very social and communicative.  She used
the word "atrocious" spontaneously and appropriately at age 4.  She toe-
walks, and has sensory issues (is fascinated by certain textures).  She
has TERRIBLE handwriting, no matter how hard she tries - I've heard this
can be due to food allergy.  Anyway... the blood work cam e back today
and this is the pediatric reference range for IgG antibodies:

less than 0.9 = not detected
0.9 to 1.1 = indeterminate
1.2 - 1.6 = weakly positive
1.7 - 3.0 = positive
3.0 + = strongly positive
Her IgG levels = 58!

That's fifty-eight!  Her IgA and tTG tests were negative.  Has anyone
ever had results like THIS before?!  I need to hear from you!
Thanks, I know I can count on you guys :)

Catherine in AZ