From:
Elaine Mathews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:54:56 -0500

Dear List Mates:

I have posted before about the number of celiacs with multiple autoimmune
conditions and that we should tell the AARDA (American Autoimmune Related
Disorders Association) about our situation.

There is an article in "Family Circle" dated April 3, 2001. (Page 15&16)
"Hoping for a Cure".  I tried writing to the AARDA again but could not
get the e-mail to go through.  But at the end of the article it gives
the name of the researcher at Johns Hopkins Medical Institution who is
directing the research.  Dr. Noel R. Rose.  His e-mail address is
[log in to unmask]  I e-mailed him this morning to tell him of Dr. Fine's
research and how people with autoimmune disease should be screened for
gluten sensitivity/celiac disease.  Even that every American should be
screened.

If you feel that autoimmune disease needs more attention and research and
that Dr. Fine's testing (a simple stool test) should be incorporated into
screening individuals with autoimmune disease then maybe you could write to
him also. Tell him of any experiences you have with celiac disease and any
other autoimmune disease you may have (even the other conditions such as
asthma, ADD, peripheral neuropathy, and any others that were associated
with celiac disease).  You might want to mention all of the problems that
the celiacs are having as you may have read on the listserve. Tell him how
life threatening celiac disease is. Also how autoimmune disease should be
tracked.  How many celiacs are there in the U.S.?  If we get enough people
to advocate in this direction perhaps we can get some research in this area
and find out "why" is there so much autoimmune disease especially in women.

Thanks to everyone for being concerned about this situation and your
support to help autoimmune disease.

Elaine