From:
Lorraine Ratajczak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 11:14:38 -0400

My 5 yr. old son's gastroenterologist recommends that he take a stool
softener for his constipation problem.  Unfortunately, my son either
cannot take or will not take most of the medicines the dr. recommends.  My
son's allergic to wheat (not sure whether he's a celiac) and to dairy
products.  He won't take more than about 1 tsp. of liquid medicine
(refuses to take the 2 tblsp. dose of Kondremul or milk of magesia or
Haley's MO or mineral oil recommended by the dr.), and can't take
Lactulose because of the dairy component.  He won't take liquid medicines
mixed in anything I've tried (juice, chocolate rice milk, applesauce).
I've managed to get him to take crushed magnesia tablets mixed in fudge,
but finally looked at the ingredients and noticed that they include starch
:-( .  I called the local teaching hospital's pharmacy and asked if they
could recommend a dairy-free and gluten-free stool softener that did not
include a stimulant.  They suggested Colace, but the dr. says it won't
work.  The pharmacy can't make up a version of the magnesia tablets
without starch, because all they have to work with already contains
starch.  Their suggestion to use a glycerin suppository was rejected by
the dr., who wants something taken by mouth.

I am at my wit's end, and hope that one of you can suggest something that
will work, that I can mix into fudge (a powder or a tablet I can crush),
or that I can sneak into him some other way.  In the meantime, I'm still
giving him the magnesia tablets in fudge, even though I know I shouldn't
:-( .

Thanks in advance for your help!
Lorraine A. Ratajczak                      Internet:  [log in to unmask]
Philadelphia, PA, USA