From:
Phyllis Chinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:34:15 EDT

Fish and Sauce

For my fish I made a Veracruz-style sauce.  I chopped half an onion and 2
chiles from the garden.  There are several varieties out there but I only
recognize 4 of them.  These chiles are from one of the plants I don't
recognize.  I sauteed the onion and chile in olive oil and butter over a low
heat so the onions got soft but not brown.

When the onions were soft I added 4 chopped cloves of garlic.  I continued
cooking over the same low heat for another minute and then added a tomato.
The tomato was from the garden (Champion variety).  I had peeled, seeded, and
chopped it before adding it to the pan.  I added 6 sliced pimento stuffed
olives and a heaping teaspoon of capers.  I tasted.  Not quite.  I added a
little Kosher salt and some
freshly ground pepper.  Taste again.

You know, sometimes you do something that's not very complicated but hits the
target.  This tasted so good I was thinking about eating the sauce the way it
was.