Date:
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 00:05:51 +0000

Original question was:
Haw could anybody say: “I am not celiac” Maybe I missing something, but as
far as I learned; there is no 100% reliable test to support that claim. Does
somebody know about 100% reliable test which would eliminate possibility of
having Celiac Disease?
Kevin,
Toronto Canada

It looks to me that most people missed my point. Thank you all for
overwhelming responses and advices. I am gluten free for over 10 years. I
didn’t get official diagnose, because my family doctor told me: you don’t
have Celiac disease”. I never trusted doctors for 100%, because they are not
gods, despite they think they are. I found out after I did some reading that
there is no reliable test to eliminate possibility having CD. The question
is: what is the point to have the test done with uncertain result? 99.9%
accurate result is just not good enough, when is my life in stake.
The discovery of Zonulin explained why CD is so deadly. It is not just
stomach ache. It is quality of life.

http://www.umm.edu/news/releases/diabetes_prevention.html

The result:
Majority believe that if you have the gene test and you don't have DQ2 or
DQ8 genes, you cannot have celiac disease.
According this article that is also wrong.
The 2 DQ genes that have been identified are ASSOCIATED with CD, NOT
causative.  It is extremely rare that someone would have both DQ2 and DQ8.
Usually people have one or the other.  The majority of people with CD have
DQ2 (~90%)  DQ2 has 2 alleles (or 2 halves) so it is possible that someone
did not inherit the entire gene from one parent, the possibility also exists
that the person inherited different halves from each parent.  Approximately
30% of people in this country have one of these 2 DQ genes; obviously not
all have CD.  Also, there are small, but significant number of people who do
have CD and do not have one of these 2 DQ genes - obviously there is still
much more to learn.  If one can identify which gene is carried in the family
and certain members turn out not to have that gene, then one can relax about
worrying about those individuals developing CD.  If someone does have either
gene and has ANY symptoms - of course there is a huge list - then further
testing is highly recommended (blood & biopsy).

One very dependable person wrote:
It isn't available except in South America and in the Middle East, but the
rectal challenge can be used to rule out or rule in celiac disease 100% of
the time among those who are consuming gluten. It is also accurate for up to
6 months after beginning a strict gluten-free diet. However, it is still
considered experimental by most gastros working in this area. It is
relatively cheap and very accurate. You can look up Michael N. Marsh on
PubMed and learn all about it.

Conclusion is that sciences can prove that you have Celiac Disease, but they
are not able to prove yet that you don’t have.

Thank to all of you for reply.
Kevin