From:
Mary Carol Koester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:54:45 EST

Question:  Has anyone been told by a physical therapist or chiropractor
or rheumatologist that they have loose ligaments?   Do you have
crepetation ( the feeling and sound of the bones moving around in the
joints)?

24 responded that they have loose and unstable ligaments and/or joints
1 responded with joint pain but tight ligaments

 Some remarks follow:

-Chiropractor views loose ligaments as a good thing.
-11 yr old 's left ankle painful and unstable, gastro, endo and
rheumatologist all say NO to this being a celiac issue. NO OTHER doctor can
figure out why she has this.
-Osteoarthritis at 32. I have always had crepetation in my knees.
-crepitation in my hands, wrist, ankles, knees and back.  Also rolling of my
feet inward -- pronation -- with orthotics, but feel thrown off balance by
the tendons not holding.  Like there was slack in them!
-have hyper-flexable joints, My knees and elbows have cracked and grinded for
years.
-I and my daughter have loose joints (also called Ehlers Danlos).  I am
celiac and they believe her to be.  The doctor said a reduction in the laxity
of the joints has been known to happen.  Joint hyper-mobility can be a
nutrient deficiency, according to one of the malabsorption charts...but I
can't remember where I read it.
- Around the time I began feeling ill (age 16) I had to go to physical
therapy for my shoulders and my knees.  My ligaments were too weak to hold my
kneecaps and shoulder blades in place. I do suffer from crepetation in the
knees but I believe that is still due to weak ligaments.  The ligaments
holding my shoulder blades are stronger but still appear to be a bit "winged.
-Yes.  Always had crepitus, was told in early 80s I should be tested for CD
related to loose ligaments (by orthpaedic surgeon).  Gastroenterologist
refused to test for CD, said it was "extremely rare. Suffered until 2001.
Five right knee surgeries, 23 left knee surgeries, both shoulders, both
elbows, both wrists.  Oh yes, one finger and one foot.
-I do, in the ribs in my back I can feel them move, when i lie down, they
crunch.
-I have major joint problems including loose joints, in particular my hip i
was told i had fibromyalgia
-Yes, all the time and I'm in PT once a week for 4 years now.
-No more loose joints after being GF for 5 years.
-I have always had loose ligaments (am 51 now). Now all my joints are falling
apart, thumb, kneecaps, other joint surgeries needed. The doctor was very
familiar w/celiac and showed the x-rays to a young doctor, saying, "You
remember hearing about celiac disease in school, here is what it does."
-I believe that I have loose joints, diagnosed with fibromyalgia and have
instability in my hips, pelvis and shoulders. I am now working to correct the
imbalances, but it is  slow and causes pain and flare-ups, I have also
developed incredible banging, crunching, and popping noises in all of my
joints.  It is a strange development, since I have been GF for eight years.
I am now 43, so perhaps it's just old age,
-my painful left shoulder joint sounding and feeling like it's popping in and
out of joint.

A treatment used:

-I have been a diagnosed celiac for one year.  Last year, I was also told by
a physical therapist who specializes in SI joints that I have a "loose pelvic
girdle," meaning that the ligaments around my pelvic area are loose.  This
has been a life long problem, with one surgery and many, many other
treatments with no relief.  However, last year, I underwent prolotherapy (a
series of injections of an irritant so that my immune system would kick in to
strengthen and thicken the ligaments).  It was a painful procedure, taking
about 6 months, but it has worked.  No pain and no slippage for one year now!
 I had not considered that this was connected to celiacs disease and would be
interested in hearing about other celiacs with a similar problem.