From:
"J. S. Weihofen" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 07:15:01 EDT

Hi everyone,
    Just got this on 10/12 and thought I'd share it with you. Please direct
any and all comments to Ms. Kupper, thanks.
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let me clarify something for you. As more and more research is done we are
finding things that are not the problem we once thought. Such is the case
with mono and di-glycerides. They were never a problem. They are fats and as
such have no gluten in them. The manufacturers state that they are a paste
when finished. The real problem with mono and di-glycerides had to do with
the carrier that was used to dry them when put into a dry product - such as a
seasoning mix.  From research that was recently done, we know that the
carrier ingredients are very unlikely to contain wheat. Although I'd like to
say they are no problem...in dry ingredients, I would still be careful, until
we can research a bit further.

Hope this helps

Cynthia Kupper, RD, CD
Executive Director