From:
Jill Arends <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 19:57:31 EDT

Below is a long summary of restaurants and experiences in San Francisco:

We were there last November, to visit our son. I went with great trepidation.
(Also visited another son in L.A., now in San Diego.) I was told that if
you're into fast food that In and Out Burger is good, although I did find at
McDonald's and Burger King. I found that I had to go through my speech at
every restaurant we went to...some $$$, but never had a problem. In fact,
we're going back this November.

The only place that made me nervous and had very little I could feel safe in
ordering was at Rainforest Cafe at the wharf. Maybe it was because they seat
something like 500 people and the waitstaff was comprised of disinterested
teenyboppers, but even that worked out. I'm not sure I'd go back there
without consulting the celiac people who reserve restaurant chains...or
contacting Rainforest Cafe myself.

There are a number of fish restaurants on Fisherman's Wharf. We ate at the
one at the end of Pier 39 or something like that. Not a problem getting
appropriate food.

We had a great meal at the Cliff House...historic, great view, $$$. We also
dined on the waterfront in Sausalito. It was mobbed there, so the problem is
getting a table, then worrying about the food. I just order grilled fish,
plain baked potatoes, plain salad (vinegar and oil), and maybe the
vegetables, if they're not in sauce.

I even had gluten free meals on the US Air flights...although they were
served with packages of regular crackers!

I actually kept notes on the specifics of which restaurants we went to and
what I ordered...but can't find the notebook. Enjoy. You'll be fine.
Linda

***************************

I found this info in my file for San Francisco:  Myas, in San Francisco,
a Mexican Restaurant,  1-415-543-2918.  They make all their dishes
fresh.  No thickeners are used in their sauces. Lunch entrees were $12-
16.   The info came to me from the celiac listserv 11/29/00, from Craig
Peters [log in to unmask] Sandra (Texas)

***************************

here's Chevy's in San Francisco (you can order enchiladas or tacos, but no
rice). There is the Ruth Chris steak house. Steak and baked potatoe should
be ok. Also there are several restaurants down by the wharf which offer
steak, seafood, etc which should be ok so long as they order baked potatoe,

******************************

Millenium on Broadway is a Vegetarian Restaurant and has some gf items.
Greens (Fort Mason) is also vegetarian.

I have had wonderful response from every place I contacted when visiting
SFO.  I called in advance, found out a person to contact, talked to
them, then followed up with a FAX with the information about what I CAN
and CANNOT eat.

The most glorious experience was at Hawthorne Street or Cafe.  Hawthorne
something.  My previous computer died and took all those files away.  It
is located near the Museum of Modern Art, not far from the Marriott downtown.

We were there for a week, and I ate everywhere with no problem.  Enjoy
your trip Anne in Texas