From:
Karen Cadiz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Cadiz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 17:28:35 -0500

Thank you to those who provided dining suggestions in the Monterey, CA area.

Suggested dining venues were:

Bubba Gumps
Dennys
Taco Bell
Whole Foods Market
Peppers
Passionfish
Epsilon
Chart House

Our first dinner was at Asilomar's Crocker dining hall. They had GF items
and were familar with the diet due to this location being a conference
center also. My daughter and I had chicken with a cornstarch based sauce
with fresh brocolli and roasted potatoes. We didn't think the meal was worth
what they charged so chose not to have another dinner there, though.

We also had breakfast in the dining hall both days since it came with our
reservation. The first day we had scrambled eggs, Odwalla orange juice and
fresh fruit. The second day was eggs again with Aidells chicken mango
sausage and OJ. I brought many snacks/bars/cereal/almond milk and OJ to fill in.

We had lunch at the Portola Restaurant(sit down reservation area) at the
Monterey Bay Aqaurium. For both the dining hall and the restaurant, I called
several days ahead and spoke the the chefs, giving information and asking
for suggestions as to what they could serve. My Triumph dining card was very
helpful. The chef made a copy of it for future reference. We had MahiMahi
with a papaya salsa, roasted endive and black japonica rice with a cream
sauce for which homemade chicken broth was substituted(we are also CF),
ending the meal with fresh coconut sorbet. Even though I had a kitchenette
to use I chose to take a break(and a chance!) from cooking and all turned
out well.

On the way home we stopped at Whole Foods and I picked up a few items that
are hard to find in my area or cost less. The Tinkyada pastas were about $1
less than my local store.

http://www.mbayaq.org/vi/vi_aquarium/vi_aq_portola.asp
http://www.visitasilomar.com/dining.aspx
http://triumphdining.com/