From:
Nina Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2002 08:54:46 -0800

Many thanks to ALL for answering my post.

I received a total of 45 replies, which broke down into the following
recommendations: (ordered by frequency of mention).

DIETARY/LIFESTYLE CHANGES: (flax seeds tied with prunes for most votes.)

1. ground flax seed or whole golden flax in apple sauce, salads, yogurt, etc.
2. stewed prunes or prune juice
3. lots of water
4. lots of veggies
5. lots of fruits
6. exercise
7. acidophilus
8. juicing with carrots
9. cooking with hot peppers (jalapeno, serranos, habaneros)
10. aloe vera juice (not gel)
11. apple sauce by itself
12. beans!

when constipated, avoid: dairy (cheese, milk, yogurt), corn, spinach,
too many starches (potatoes, white rice, flours, etc.). eat more fiber
to promote regularity.

PHARMACEUTICAL TREATMENTS:
prescription:

1. Kristalose, "works without cramping"
2. Miralax Powder
3. Lactulose (OTC in canada), not sure about availability in US

non prescription:

1. Metamucil/psyllium (works to regulate both constipation and diarrhea)
2. Magnesium -500mg, 1000mg- helps remineralize bones
3. Flax Oil Capsules (from 500mg to 1000mg twice a day)
4. L-Glutamine/Glutathione to repair intestinal lining
5. Fiber Choice chewable tablets (1-2 2/3x per day)
6. OTC stool softener (docusate sodium)
7. Fibretone (health food store - non-psyllium fiber for those with psyllium
   allergy)

GENERAL TIPS FROM LIST MEMBERS:

1. YOU ARE EATING GLUTEN IF CONSTIPATED: "if you are constipated on a
gluten-free diet, you are consuming gluten. do not eat processed foods."

2. RETHINK MEAL SIZE: "If I eat even a regular-sized meal, I often get
constipated, but if I eat much smaller amounts more often throughout the
day, my bowel habits are near perfect! I think it has to do with
intestinal damage making digestion difficult, but as we heal over time,
our intestines will probably be capable of digesting larger amounts.
However, I think it is healthier for a lot of reasons to eat smaller
amounts more frequently ... it keeps your weight down, too."

3. LOTS OF WATER: "A glass of warm water first thing in the morning does
wonders too.  Don't use warm tap water though. Use cold and warm it in
the microwave. Sounds weird but people have been doing this for
generations (minus the microwave, of course)."

4. ANTI-CONSTIPATION REMEDY:
"Anti-Constipation Fruit Paste
(Dose: 1-2 tablespoons per day for adults)

1 lb prunes
1 lb raisins or pitted dates
1 lb figs
4 oz Senna tea leaves (found at healthfood stores)
1 c. GF brown sugar
1 c. lemon juice

Boil 4 cups of water, add to the tea leaves and steep
for five minutes. Strain the tea and pour two cups of
the tea liquid into a large pot, discard the rest. Add
the fruit (except lemon) to this pot and boil for five
minutes.

Remove from heat, add the sugar and lemon juice and
mix. Allow the mixture to cool.

Use mixer, blender or food processor to turn the fruit
mixture into a smooth paste. Spoon into jars or
freezer containers and place in the freezer.

Note: This fruit paste does not freeze solid, but
keeps well indefinitely in the freezer. It can be
spread on toast or used as topping - or if all else
fails, just take like medicine."

thanks again for all of your replies. i will try adding prunes first, as i
already eat many fruits and veggies. i will also eliminate corn as a possible
allergen.

happy 2002!

-Nina in MA