From:
Susan Lasley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 18:12:31 +0000

Last week I went to Sainsbury's (a UK grocery store) to get the sticky
rice to accompany the stir fried veggies I was to prepare. THe only brand
I could find was called "Sushi Rice."   When I got
the rice home, I looked at the small print on the label, and noticed that it
wasn't just rice.  The rice had been sprayed with corn syrup and corn
starch (it had these listed as ingredients) to give it its "sticky"
quality.

I'm reporting this not because corn has gliadin/gluten in it (it doesn't)
or that the product probably wasn't gluten free (it probably was,
although without a written GF assurance, who knows anymore...).  It is
just a reminder of how important it is to read labels, even on ordinary
and innocent looking things like RICE.  THere could be surprises.  One could
not tell from looking at the rice through the cellophane wrapper that
there was anything there other than rice, because in appearance, and
texture it looked and felt and cooked exactly like plain short-grained
rice.  Imagine if the  manufacturers had chosen to use wheat syrup or
wheat starch instead!

Just info.

Susan (formerly in North Carolina, but now in the UK)