Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:46:45 -0400

 Here is a summary of responses.
Go to www.gluten.net and click on publications.  You will find a booklet
that you can download and print called Celiac, Diabetes and Me.  You should
find it quite helpful as you deal with both diseases
-----------------------------------
There is a website I found where you can type in your dietary needs.  Its
www.mealsforyou.com.  Check out the  "Advanced Search" selection.  Hope it
helps.
-----------------------------------
I do not have the info you are requesting, however, I wanted to tell you MY
diabetes experience, incase you wish to try that route.  I had prediabetic
hypogycemia since the age of 16 which turned to diabetes in my early 50s.  I
also was an undxed celiac from infancy till the age of 49.  I was in very
bad shape by the time I was dxed and had multiple life threatening problems,
and indeed, had nearly died multiple times from such things as pernicious
anemia, cirrhosis of the liver (secondary to celiac disease), and
miscarriages (due to a blood disorder secondary to celiac disease) during my
lifetime.

After I went gf, I was not one of the lucky ones that got totally better, as
I already had a number of well entrenched secondary problems.  My celiac
doctor actually told me finally to give up on the idea that I would ever
fully recover and take the recovery that I had gotten and be content!  (I
was able to function fully only 3 hours a day and even then had periods of
exhaustion for weeks on end where I could not even walk across a room
without resting.)  However, I am not a quiter and I decided to work on the
problem myself via computer.  I found much help from this forum, but also I
saw a thread going on where there were others here who had all the same
problems as I.  Long story short, I began investigating supplementation and
gut flora problems.  I then read a book that led me to the author who was a
nutritionist.  He has changed my life.

One of the things this nutritionist told me was that I could recover from
diabetes if I went on a low carb, completely sugarfree and sugar
derivitive-free diet.  He said that if one catches diabetes within the first
2 to  5 years this works and I had been diabetic only 2 years.  I have to
admit that I didn't believe him on this point, but I had to go on the diet
for other reasons (gut toxins) anyway, so I thought I would just see if it
did happen.  I followed the diet faithfully and he was correct!  My blood
sugar went from 130s (fasting) to 90 (fasting) within 9 months.  He has told
me it will continue to fall probably for another year and will probably
settle at around 80.

I am not going to say that the sugar-free diet is fun or easy.  It is not.
In some ways it is even harder than complying with the gf diet.  However, I
really saw that I, personally, had no choice.  If I wanted to get better, I
HAD to do this diet.  My lymphatic system was so completely useless and my
adrenals were going fast, I had no choice but to go on a detox diet.  It was
a good choice; today I am able to function fully.  I can garden, go bike
riding, hiking...  Before I was unable to walk across the room without
having to sit down from exhaustion most of the time.  I had been bedbound
for over 13 years prior to my celiac dx.

If you should decide to go this direction, know in advance that you cannot
use the artificial sweeteners.  They are all sugar derivitives.  You CAN use
stevia, which is an herb to sweeten.  (If you should decide to go this
direction, please write back and I will tell you more about the brands of
stevia, as some are crap and you will definitely NOT like the end product if
using them.)

My nutritionist's name is Byron Richards (CCN).  The name of his book is
"Mastering Leptin".  Leptin is a body hormone--the master hormone, according
to Byron, which regulates all the other hormones.  The body's hormones work
as an "orchestra" with leptin as the conductor.  Leptin also regulates body
fat.  The book is a "diet" book; however, the last half, or more, of the
book is all info about how the hormones interrelate to each other and affect
the performance of each other.  Insulin, adrenaline, and leptin are in close
sync with each other and, thus, affect each other's performance.

I regard Byron as a genius, personally.  He has done wonders with my health
and never once questioned whether he could turn my health around.  And he
did it in under one year!!!  I had been ill since infancy and have seen
doctors who did not have a clue all of my life.

The stevia I use is called "Premium Quality Sweet Leaf Stevia Clear Liquid
Stevia".  It is a product of Wisdom Natural Brands from Gilbert, Arizona.
Their telephone number is 1-800-899-9908.  Since you mention the U of
Syndey, I assume you are from "Oz"  ;)  so I don't know if you have trouble
ordering across the pond or not.  (I am in Pennsylvania, USA and Byron is in
Minnesota, USA.)  I order my stevia from www.vitaminshoppe.com   You have to
play with the stevia a bit to get the hang of it.  If you use too much or
too little, it can taste bitter, which is why it is so hard to get the hang
of.  However, follow the amount recommended on the bottle and you should be
close to the amount you want to use.

Byron doesn't really use the glycemic index.  I count carbs.  Initially he
wanted me under 80 (and preferably 60) grams of carbs/day.  Now I am allowed
to eat 120/day and cheat with higher than that twice a month