Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 10:13:52 -0400

Hi all,

I am a person that lives at least 45 minutes from any health food store
to get my flours. Gerger baby rice cereal just happened to catch my eye
one day last week at the grocery store(5 minutes away) I read the
ingredieants and they all seemed ok except one vitamin E (tocopherols)
I looked up tocopherols in my medical dictionary and it said the sources
could be from many including wheat germ. So I called the gerber company.
I spoke with a very informed woman who ensured me the vitamin E was NOT
from wheat germ, as they do not contaminate their grains dealing with a
baby not able to digest wheat. She said the secondary foods may contain
wheat, but the baby rice cereal does NOT. I bought a box and tried it in
a cupcake recipie in the gluten archives, and they came out great! the
price was right, and it is fortified with other vitamins as well. It
does have soy-oil to those who are sensitive, but it did not bother me
at all. The ingredieants as follows;
rice flour
soy oil-lecithin
tri-and dicalcium phosphate
vitamin C
Tocopherols (vitamin E)
electrolytic iron
niacinamide
riboflavin (vitamin B-2)
and  thiamin (vitamin B-1

Its covienient for me when I run out and am not in the area of a health
food store. Its flaked real fine. And so far I have felt fine eating
these cupcakes.

Anyone else use this as a rice flour substitute?

                      Carol
             Notheast Pennsylvania USA