From:
Alan Mink <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan Mink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 2009 01:43:46 -0400

We found only 1 place with a GF menus, but all the places we went to were
familiar with GF food & prep. They were all good and non were inexpensive.
Breakfast was omelets at our hotel and lunch (more like snacks) was yogurt
and/or cheese from grocery stores eaten at scenic locations. Dinners follow:

Amici's pizza did have a GF menu and it was good.
Scoma's didn't have a GF menu but was familiar w/ GF & was good.
Poggio's (not on list below) in Sausalito didn't have a GF menu but was
	familiar w/ GF & was good.
Franciscan Crab (not on list below) on Fisherman's Wharf didn't have
	a GF menu but was familiar w/ GF & was good.

Thanks,
Alan in Maryland

 > > I've recently been to SF for work 3 times in the past 4 months and my GF
 > > favorites were as follows:
 > > Zadin - amazing vietnamese food with a menu already labeled 95% GF plus
 > > the rest can be modified to be gluten free. worth the visit for the
 > > fried calamari and pho ga.
 > > http://zadinsf.com/menu.asp
 > >
 > > BurmaSuperstar - crazy wait but my GFf friend tells them gluten free, no
 > > soy sauce, clean wok and eats happily and safely. We didn't get to eat
 > > there but did eat at their sister restaurant B-Star (down the street)
 > > and had fewer choices but still yummy food.
 > > www.burmasuperstar.com
 > >
 > > In-n-Out in Fisherman's Wharf (Jefferson St) - order your burger protein
 > > style and they come wrapped in lettuce. All the fixins are GF and so are
 > > the fries and shakes. Enjoy. (and animal style adds grilled onions)
 > >
 > > Cafe Gratitude is raw, vegan but everything is GF. www.cafegratitude.com
 > >
 > > Dosa SF: Indian www.dosasf.com <http://www.dosasf.com> - they have a
 > > handy and informative allergen chart and lots of GF options.
 > >
 > > Last time I went to B44 and had delicious Spanish food and they were
 > > fully knowledgeable about GF and what was and what could be modified.
 > > Even dessert options.
 > >
 > > Visit the Bristol Farms grocery store in the basement level of the
 > > Westfield Mall on Market & Powell/5th Street if you need some GF
 > > groceries. The one thing I struggled to find was GF bread but they had
 > > corn tortillas and Van's waffles.
 > >
 > > My GF/DF friend recommends:
 > > Betelnut Restaurant: an Asian Fusion restaurant offers a gluten free
 > > (though small) menu too: _http://www.betelnutrestaurant.com/_.
 > > The Plant Cafe: which is earthy/organic and very low key (order at the
 > > counter but very nice and yummy) also offers coded menu for food
 > > allergies, including gluten. _http://www.theplantcafe.com/_ .
 > >
 > > I haven't been to but have heard about:
 > > Amicis pizza, mariposa bakery, slanted door (vietnamese), crave bakery
 > > San Francisco Soup Company labels GF DF etc and they are all over SF for
 > > a quick and easy lunch.

I save all the summaries that come across the List.  Here's one on San
Francisco.

Thanks to all who responded.  The consensus is that SF is an awesome city
for Celiacs.  Several recommended taking your dining card.  Here were some
restaurant suggestions:
    ****
    The Flytrap served me chicken stuffed with goat cheese and raisins.
    ****
    One Market served me crabcakes, and basically everything on the menu was
gluten free!
    ****
Annabelles gave me pork chops with sauces, and chicken and was great.
    ****
Larkspur Steak House served me fantastically as did McCormicks & Schmicks on
the waterfront.
****
   Albona in North Beach is small, maybe 12 tables, but Bruno the owner is
always present and understands GF.  We had risotto that we split and a
braised veal shank along with a birthday panna cotta with a candle.   I
highly recommend this place.  Good food and the owner is great.
    ****
    There's a great Whole Foods store.
    ****
    Fisherman's Wharf:  Nick's Lighthouse; If you call Rainforest Cafe in
advance, they'll
accommodate you, as will Scoma's.  We also eat at Aliotos and Fisherman's
Grotto.  I can't think of the name, but on Pier 39, there is a fish place
overlooking where the sea lions congregate that was fine.
    ****
If you're driving south into areas just below the city, you can find
Outbacks, Carrabas, Macaroni Grill, Red Robin (burger place).
****
    Sausalito:  Outback, The Spinnaker (which has fabulous views of SF),
Scoma's.
****
    SF is such a food-besotted city that the vast majority of non-fast-food
places take so much pride in what they do that they 1) know what's in the
dishes they cook and 2) are willing to modify or substitute to help you out.
Admittedly, this can be an expensive way to eat, but there are plenty of
bistros and cafes that are not terribly pricey-especially when you
consider how much McDonald's actually costs when a gluten-eating family adds
up all the stuff everyone orders.  Except for the Union Square area and
Fisherman's Wharf, there are
good restaurants everywhere. Those two locations, however, cater to tourists
and day trippers, meaning you're likely to pay too much money for
not-very-good food. Fisherman's Wharf is particularly bad.  There are
restaurant guides both on-line and in handbook form --
Zagat's, for instance.
    ****
Oakland:  Cafe Mariposa, located in the Temescal neighborhood, has a cafe &
bakeshop with a selection of gluten-free sweets, including chocolate chip
cookies, muffins, individual coffee cakes, coconut lemon squares and of
course, our signature brownies & biscotti, with more savory items being
added to our menu in the near future.  Our cafe's address is 5427 Telegraph
Ave, Unit D3, Oakland, CA, 94609.  The poster says, "The best brownies and
biscotti I have ever had!!"

About 7 yrs ago we went to San Francisco and ate at a Swiss restaurant
called the Matterhorn.  It serves authentic Swiss food and they understand
food "allergies."  I called and talked to Bridgette in the afternoon and the
chef made a special GF sauce for the veal.  I love rousti and it was GF as
well.  San Francisco was a good city to visit as many foods are fresh and
without batter or frying.

http://matterhorn.ypguides.net/

There is a celiac support group/ website for the SF and Bay area... Surefoodsliving.com
they list restaurants with gluten free options.Google the bay area and celiac , there
are a number of sites toe xplore.

There is a restaurant at Pier 1 1/2.  It is a Peruvian restaurant, right on the water.
I think it is called La Mar.  We recently ate there at it was great.  They do not
provide a GF menu, but the chef was very knowledgeable about what was safe.  Our
sensitive Celiac daughter had a risotto dish.  The chef substituted the soy sauce it
contained, with some type of oil.  It was delicious!  Our daughter said it was one of
the best dishes she has ever had.

recently my sister stumbled upon a new little restaurant right on the wharf called The
Plant Cafe.  They serve veggie and GF on their menu and it's clearly marked.
We tried to eat there two weeks ago but it was a Saturday and on the weekends during the
day they only serve "brunch" which is a very limited menu for GF items.  The regular
lunch and dinner items look really good though and there are tables outside right on the
water.

If you would like to check it out, here is the website:
http://www.theplantcafe.com/

One Market is wonderful. Almost everything on their menu  including their
crab cakes are gluten free! McCormick's is willing to work with you. The
restaurant in the Fairmont was great at giving me gluten free meals such as
coq au vin, crab salads and even soup! I found all the upscale restaurants
we went to were well aware of gluten and in the three weeks I was there, I
did great. Oh, the Larkspur Steak place is good too. It's been since winter
of 2008 so I have forgotten a lot of the names.

We had a couple of reasonable and delicious meals last month at a place called
Santorini's.  It is downtown, on O'Farrell next to the rear entrance of the Handlery
Hotel.  It is around the corner from Union Square.  They serve Mediterranean food which
is mostly GF.  They were accommodating and the food was delicious.  We ate breakfast as
well as dinner there.  They had a large menu.

I was just in SF for a few days and found GF tougher to find there than in
other cities.  The best that we found was The Slanted Door in the Ferry
Terminal Building on the Embarcadero.  They serve "nouveau" Vietnamese,
wonderful atmosphere overlooking the Bay.  No GF menu, but the waitress who
served us in the lounge area was very knowledgable about the dietm the
ingredients and which were safe options.

We've not been back since being gf but Scoma's (on the Wharf and in Sausalito) can do gf
service with great meals.

www.cravebakery.com sells their stuff to local Whole Foods stores in the area. I heard
it was great though it's dairy free in addition to being gf.