From:
Suzanne Romey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:23:10 -0500

It has taken me a long time to summarize.  There were many responses on the
topic of low blood pressure, so I'll make a summary without any quotes.  I
was wondering if I should be worried about my blood pressure because I am
getting older and my blood pressure is getting lower!  It is usually 90/60,
but sometimes it is 80/50.  Most people said that it is not connected to CD
and that it is not a problem.  One person said she had low BP 60/40 before
going gluten free and that after she started the diet it went up to 112/60.
Several people said that I should be thankful because I will probably have
a long life.  One person said that I can enjoy salty foods.  Some people
were interested in this topic and were looking forward to my summary.  A
lot of people wrote and said that they have low BP, some people have lower
BP than I do.  One person had 70/40 one time and was told not to worry
about it.  One person with low BP was told not to worry about it, but she
said you need to tell the anesthesiologist if you have surgery.  Some
people said to be careful with getting up too fast and drink more fluids.
Someone said that if it is too low it coul be a problem due to dizziness
and blackouts.  One person wrote that a doctor on TV said low blood
pressure causes a lower quality of life in some cases, but gives a higher
life expectancy.

Some problems that might be associated with low blood pressure were also
mentioned.  One suggestion was that mitrovalve prolapse can cause
dizziness.  One person suggested L-glutamine would be helpful if my gut
was still healing.  One person said low BP can cause heart palpitations
and dizziness.  She recommended potassium salt, calcium and magnesium.
I was wondering if low BP could be related to hypoglycemia.  Someone
said that zinc is important for regulating insulin - it helps the body
make corticosteroids which are basic for making hormones.  She suggested
nibbling on the zinc and magnesium tablets after each meal rather than
taking them once a day.  Another person wrote that some doctors say low
BP can be linked to chronic fatigue and is common in patients with
fibromyalgia.  Here is a web page with information:
http://www.nfra.net/LowBlood.htm.  One person found out she has
orthostatic hypotension.  Another person said that low BP makes it
harder for the heart to keep blood going to the brain which causes
serious problems.

Someone wrote that exercise can lower blood pressure.  I think that's the
answer.  I started to exercise at about the same time that I started the GF
diet.  Any health problems I had such as fibromyalgia and hypoglycemia have
cleared up, so the exercise is probably the reason my blood pressure still
went down.

I hope I didn't forget to include anyone's response.

Susanne