From:
"C. E. Dinkins" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
C. E. Dinkins
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:00:40 -0500

I am new to this list and have two children diag. last week.  This week we did the scope on both children (14 and 8 years old).  I have two younger children we will have blood drawn on Friday to have tested and a older one that will be tested as well.

The 14 year old showed bad scaring (rated a 3 out of a possible 4) from reflux that the doctor said was caused by the celiac.  The 8 year old had a place they biopsies from the reflux.  The results will of course be 1 to 2 weeks away.

What advice would you give someone just starting the gluten free diet with their children and family?
I am due to deliver #6 March 21st, but of course could go any time in the next couple of weeks.

I feel a little overwhelmed with a new little one coming and  this new diet at the same time.

We also have to avoid peanut for both, tomato for one, and cottonseed and dairy for the other.

What is the best bread recipe for children to use for sandwiches and such?
Can you pretty much use the rice combo. flour for any recipe? (except yeast bread of course)

We homeschool so we don't have to worry about the school issues and the diet.  But church is a issue.  We just plan on taking any food that they need for outings and such.

I do have a MIL that I am having trouble with.  She doesn't believe in the severity of this.  She feeds my 8 year old stuff he can't have.  I am not sure how to get her to understand.
Cottonseed makes him have SEVER headaches and turns ghost white.  He gets really sick and sometimes my throw up from the pain.

I can't seem to get her to understand that it makes him really sick.  My husband is suppose to try and talk to her again but it never has worked in the past.  Now the celiac and the cottonseed, and peanut are such Major issues that somehow we have to get through to her or not let him be there alone.

I don't want to have to go that far.  I will if there is no convincing her but if you all have any suggestions as how to get her to understand I am listening. (smile)
She thinks she knows more than the doctors or us.  She thinks because with the cottonseed and gluten it is a reaction SHE sees right that min. then "just give him some med. and he will be fine"  or "or ah it won't kill him, he will be fine".

My mom is very understanding about the diet change and willing to do what it takes.
The rest of my husband's family just shrugs it off like I have said nothing.

Like I said, right now with two big changes in our lives, celiac and the new baby, it is a bit overwhelming.  A little support would be great, but  I don't see any at this time.

They also told me Monday that the baby's cord has only two vessels in it and was suppose to have 3.  They wish that was caught at 20 weeks so they could have watched the baby closer but now it is delivery time there is nothing they can do to change that.

Sorry I guess this intro and question post was a little venting too. (smile)

"No Worries" God is in Control
Connie D.
Tennessee - moderator of Christian Herbal Digest
To subscribe to CHDigest send a e-mail to [log in to unmask]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chdigest