Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 21:26:53 -0400

Here are all the answers to my white sauce question. Thanks to all!
Susan

"I use arrowroot powder for thickening.  I have had very good luck with
it. It stays together very well. Just use a regular white sauce recipe
and substitute the arrowroot powder."

"Use Bette Hagemen's flour mixture for white sauce and gravy. I've NEVER
had a problem."

"I sometimes use Five Brothers Alfredo Pasta Sauce in place of a white
sauce. It is made by Lipton and is GF. They use corn to thicken. You
might try it with GF pasta and if you like the taste decide what else
you can accompany with it.  My husband likes it also and we have used on
many other foods besides the pasta."

"We found this recipe on an Argo Cornstarch box, and adapted it to GF
status:  1 Tbsp.  butter or margarine, 1 cup milk, 1 tsp.  Herb Ox
chicken bouillon, 1/8 tsp white pepper (or black) and 1 Tbsp.
cornstarch.  melt butter in saucepan, add 3/4 cup milk and bouillon.
Heat slowly over low heat until bouillon is disolved.  In a separate
bowl, mix 1/4 cup milk, cornstarch and pepper using a whisk.  Slowly add
cornstarch mixture to saucepan and bring to just a boil.  STIR
CONSTANTLY...  Boil gently for 2 minutes until smooth and creamy."

"I have been using Sweet Rice Flour for sauces for years and I was a
little surprised by your results.  I use a ratio of 1:1:1, one tablespoon
butter/oil to one tablespoon flour to one cup of liquid (broth, milk,
water).  Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the flour, when all is
absorbed add the COLD liquid.  Stir constantly over high heat.  When it
starts to bubble, cook for one minute longer.  This method is like a
roux, but I don't usually let the flour/butter mixture brown."

"With hot liquids like soups and stews I estimate one tablespoon flour
per cup of liquid.  Mix the flour with cold water and stir into the
boiling liquid--stir constantly.  This ratio 1:1 can be adjusted
depending on how thick you want the end product to be.  I hope this
helps!  All those wonderful sauces make it a bit easier to skip the
gluten."

"I have not used a roux type of mixture, made with anything, for
thickening.  I stick to the slurry of 1/2 cornstarch and 1/2 water added
at the end of cooking.  Are you familiar with the technique?  I have
never had a problem and make just about everything that needs
thickening.  I do everything from plain food to gourmet."

"I have never had trouble with white sauce.  Possibly you are not
cooking it down long enough.  The more you cook and stir the thicker it
will get. Also, I noticed that after I refrigerate it  tends to settle
out.  I simply microwave and stir to reconstitute it and it is ok.  Try
using a different blend of flours like potato starch and corn starch.
Make sure you add all items slowly so they don't lump while cooking."

"This is interesting.  I've used all kinds of GF flours and mixes for
white sauce, and I've never had a problem.  What are you using for the
fat and liquid?"

"I think I've heard that sweet rice flour is less likely to separate,
but that theory seems shot, doesn't it?"

"I use white rice flour and it works fine. I add a little nutmeg"

"I have always made white sauce with corn starch and never had a problem
with it.  I never used flour for it, even before I knew that I had CD,
and I have been cooking for over forty years.  During church it occurred
to me that if you have problems using corn starch, you are probably not
cooking it long enough."

"I like to use Ultra gel and All purpose thick gel to make white sauce,
soup, gravy, etc. It is a modified food starch made from waxy maize
corn. It won't break down from heat, cold freezing, etc. You put
pourable gravy in the frige and it is the same consistency when you take
it out."

"I mix potato starch into my white sauces, either by itself or with some
cornstarch, especially for scalloped potatoes. It sets up faster than
cornstarch and gives a thicker texture, I think, and a heartier flavor.
Use half or 2/3 the amount you would use with cornstarch. But I don't
know if it stays together in the refrigerator! My husband always
finishes it off."

"corn starch"

"In scalloped potatoes (German potato salad, and other potato based
dishes) try potato starch.  If it is too goofy for you, mix half & half
w/ sweet rice flour (I like to toast it first in a dry pan) or even
cornstarch."

"I use potato starch.  Also use it in gravy now.  Found out it holds up
much better than cornstarch.  Believe it or not I heard this by accident
on an old Julia Child show."

"For years I have made scalloped potatoes by sprinkling instant mashed
potatoes and salt over the sliced potatoes, add some milk, dot with
butter and bake. Have you tried this combination?"

"I assume you're making the flour, butter, and milk type recipe.  Have
you tried making it thinner or thicker?  I can't say that I've ever had
the trouble you're having, but I think I make a pretty thin one. My
recipe is this:

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp corn starch, tapioca starch, potato starch, gf flour, or rice
flour (generally whatever I can find the quickest!)
1 cup of milk

Melt the butter.  Add the starch and cook until bubbly.  Add the milk a
little at a time.  Heat to boiling, then simmer until thick enough - add
more milk if you want it thinner.  Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese and 1/4
tsp mustard and salt if you want a cheese sauce for macaroni.

I've never had this recipe fall apart, but I guess there's always a
first time!

The only other thing I can think of is make sure it is cold before you
seal it in the fridge (let it dry a little bit)."

"Have you tried regular rice flour?  I don't make white sauce, but for
gravies, I always use regular brown rice flour and nobody can tell the
difference. Use the same amount as amount of wheat flour called for in
the recipe."

"I made this first when diagnosed 24 years ago, still perfect. Same
exactly as any recipe book, except use white rice flour.

1 tablespoon of BUTTER (not margarine)
1 tablespoon of white rice flour (not sweet)
1 cup liquid=milk or combo of chicken, fish whatever stock and milk

You can expand by this proportion to feed any number.  Melt butter, stir
in flour, let all the butter be absorbed by the flour.  Add slowly the
milk or combo of liquids.  Stir and cook over low to medium heat until
right thickness, adding more milk as necessary.  Other variations are to
saute fresh mushrooms and chopped onions, then pull to side, add butter,
etc.  Make your sauce a little thin, then add can of drained tuna and
have wonderful "creamed" anything.  Too much?  Put in fridge and reheat,
adding a little more milk.  BROWN Gravy:  Same as above, but use Water
instead of milk.  Then add red wine and your choice of Worchester Sauce
or Soy Sauce, for the richest, smoothest, best tasting brown gravy anyone
ever ate.My husband is very picky, NON-Celiac and adores these, as do all
my normal guests.With the white sauce, when using with chicken or turkey,
definitely use about a third of poultry stock and then add tarragon
leaves and parsley-Gourmet Fare.  I always use a very finely powdered
grind of white rice flour as found in oriental markets or Goya brand in
mexican section.  There is no grit, just smooth."