From:
Betty Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 14:12:33 EDT

In reading Ayn's E-Mail on GF breads, I reacted to the statement I made
yesterday to my wife, who is not a celiac, but who has been doing most of the
food selections for me.  I have been diagnosed almost 2 yrs ago and am
relatively gluten free in my dietary selections; no regrets or pariticular
difficulties in adjusting with the exception of breads.  My comment to my
wife was, "I am going to give up bread."

 Both the purchased commercial bread products and the attempts to bake GF
bread at home have been dissatisfying.  Commercial breads must be toasted if
I am to have any enjoyment of them and even the toasted bread is hard,
difficult to digest, and easily loses whatever flavor it has unless eaten
immediately.

 Breads that are made in the bread machine (mixes or recipes from Hageman's
book or other sources) turn out too heavy to digest, become stale quickly and
are not terribly tasty.

 Has anyone discovered both the best mixes and the methods to turn out
palatable breads that can be stored for more than one day.   We know that we
will never get breads that taste like the old gluten breads we so enjoyed.
But is there a possibility of getting a more similar product than we have
been able to produce or purchase?

 Carl in Ohio