From:
"Thorn, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thorn, Michael
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 09:18:14 -0500

We stayed at the Marriot San Juan and the Executive Chef set us up big
time. He assigned a sous-chef to us and they made me gluten free
pancakes and muffins every day.  If you contact him ahead of time, you
can eat in their restaurant for dinner safely. It's an expensive
restaurant but the food was nice.

We were in Puerto Rico February of 2007 but only spent one day in San
Juan.  Overall, though, I found it very easy to eat in Puerto Rico as
there is plenty of seafood available and the locals eat lots of chicken.
Good luck!

I cannot give you specific places that are good, but the local food in
Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic (and probably Cuba) does not
include gluten, except in bread and a few baked items.  The baked items
are made in separate stores, so normally would not contaminate a kitchen
except in a sandwich shop.  Starches are from rice, potatoes and a
number of other root crops.  I have spent quite a bit of time in both
countries with no problem.

I just try to avoid places catering to tourists.

We just came back from the Rio Mar in Puerto Rico. It's about 40 minutes
from San Juan.

Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa is a Beautiful Puerto Rico Resort
<http://www.wyndhamriomar.com/>

We ate at all of the hotel properties with no problems at all. I emailed
the head of dining ahead of time and he had sent it to all of the
restaurants. They had gluten free pasta at the Italian restaurant.

The one place we ate at off property was Ritchies and the owner Ritchie
was very helpful and accommodating.

Richie's | Puerto Rico Restaurants
<http://www.fodors.com/world/caribbean/puerto%20rico/entity_195820.html>

*******