From:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 18:04:23 +0000

Sorry for neglecting to add the following contact info. for Palomino
Restaurant in San Francisco:
345 Spear St., 415-512-7400 (www.r-u-i.com);  Also, validated parking after
5 pm.

I'm bringing back some people from out-of-town to Palomino's this weekend
and spoke with the sous chef Daniel who told me he has had several other
celiacs recently patronize his restaurant with the business card size celiac
restaurant card.  He even had a copy of my own celiac restaurant card from
my last visit which I left with the executive chef Mark;  Wow!

My comments from the previous posting are below:

I want to commend the executive chef of Palomino restaurant in San
Francisco, California, whose name is Mark. He spoke with me on the phone,
asked me what I couldn't eat, and although I listed the major foods which
contain gluten, he was able to be creative and work with the GF diet.  A
substantial amount of Palomino's menu items contain gluten but he was able
to prepare me a tailorized meal.  You know how we are always checking
brands, he told me the brands of ingredients and came up with a recipe of
ingredients to put in the choices I made with him over the phone.  He is the
first chef that made me feel comfortable because he knew the brands of his
products (cheeses, chocolate, vinegars, etc.) from the top of his head
without having to look them up and when I happened to ask him if he knew the
brand, he knew right away so it was easy to work with him.  This way, he
could make my meal with a variety of colors and flavors.  He was very
versatile because when we were working out the ingredients, I said that I
was lactose intolerant but could tolerate dairy well now with lactase enzyme
and was just a little concerned that both my appetizer and entrée had a lot
of dairy so he made modifications for this as well.  When I arrived, he came
to the table and told me that he set aside clean pans to cook my food.  The
food was not bland nor plain and accented with fresh from scratch
ingredients wherever possible.

Laura Y.