From:
Gina Spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 13:46:50 -0800

Hi Everyone,

   Below is a summary of responses to my post regarding antidepressants.
Wellbutrin, Effexor, Paxil, Serzone, Remeron, Zoloft, Celexa, Neurontin.
Many of you agree that there is a connection between our CD and
depression.

Many mentioned chemical imbalances and a relation to the fact that we do
not absorb vitamins and nutrients from food very effectively.

Thanks again to all who took the time to reply.  Your support is so much
appreciated.  I was amazed and grateful at the total responses and
overwhelmed by the genuine care and support that I felt from so many of
you.  I feel blessed.

---Paxil
   Paxil received the most mixed reviews of any of the drugs.  It also
seems to be the most prescribed.  The majority confirmed that it is GF.

1)  Felt worse than the depression itself

2)  Helped me sleep

3)  Did well for me

4)  Responded really well for anxiety

5)  Zombie feeling, weight gain

6)  Withdrawal Symptoms severe

7)  Increase in appetite, weight gain

8)  Makes sleepy

9)  Working well for anxiety with no side effects

10)  Rough on stomached

11)  Sleepy at larger doses

12)  Too sleepy

13)  Good for depression but not so much anxiety

14)  Get enough sleep or feel fatigue

15)  Sleepiness, but solved problem by taking 1 1/2 hrs before bedtime
and sleeping 9 hours

16)  Paxil does good for anxiety if you can get past the nausea and
anorexia that it causes.  It can also cause sexual side effects.

17)  Was on Paxil for a year with no problems.  It was because of
Serotonin levels. Also, was not sleeping at all for several months.
Also have thyroid, low blood sugar and anxiety attacks

18)  Coming off of Paxil suddenly causes trouble.  Caused weird
vice-grip type headaches and a feeling of disassociation if a dose was
missed.

19) Became extremely sedated at half the usual starting does.  The  last
day was on it (after a week), was unable to get up off the couch and
felt like a total zombie and even more depressed than before it was
started.

---Neurontin

1)  Worked for me

2)  Controls pain, temper outbursts

3)  Helps with sleep at night

4)  Caused problems with "jerkiness" in the legs

---Celexa

1)  Works well for depression with no side effects

2)  Worked at first but not working anymore. Celexa is first medication
tried.

3)  Slight zombie feeling

4)  Saved my life. Works well with problems Celiac's have with digestion

5)  Recommended for Celiac's, easy on gut

6)  No weight gain or loss of sex drive

7)  Been of Celexa for almost two years for panic attacks and
depression.  First dose was 20 mg but kept falling asleep at work.
Doctor reduced it to 15 mg.  this helped but still felt like I was
dragging around and falling asleep in the evenings at an early hour. The
dose was again reduced to 10 mg.  this seems to be working well.  After
still feeling tired in the evening, a new doctor listened and suggested
taking the dose in the evening rather than the AM.  With Taking Celexa,
if a dose is taken late (2- hours), I'm not in a panic.

8) Other antidepressants had been tried in the past but had to be
switched for various reasons.  The best one ever been on and continue to
take is Celexa.  It has the least side effects and effective.

9)  Finds Celexa to be just great.  Don't even notice when I take it,
just feel good.

---Zoloft

1)  Least side effects of any medication of this type

2)  Minimal side effects, works quickly

3)  Works well, not covered by insurance any longer, least side effects

4)  Turned into a zombie

5)  Ineffective for anxiety

---Wellbutrin

1)  Helped with the depression following a hysterectomy with out
interfering with romantic instincts.

2) Anxiety was higher at first on Wellbutrin, but once the right dose
was found it decreased greatly.  Sometimes when it wears off there is
some agitation.  Using Buspar along with it helps.

3)  Wellbutrin and Effexor were taken.  It was found that the Wellbutrin
was the one working so  will slowly discontinue the Effexor.
It is this person opinion that the body needed time to adjust to the
damage done before a Celiac diagnosis.  Feels it is finally getting
better.

4)  Wellbutrin 100 mg per day taken along with Depacote 750 mg per day.

---Remeron

1)  Used for depression.  Xanax was needed at times for breakthrough
panic.

2)  Has been on Remeron for some time now.  It really helps with being
able to sleep.  Tried to go it but it did make a difference so will stay
on it for awhile.

3)  Takes Remeron early evening (8:30), goes to bed around 9:30.  Can
wake up at 7:00-7:30 and not feel fatigued or in a fog.

4)  Takes Remeron and has, since just before diagnosed with CD.  Had no
trouble with it except an increased appetite which was needed because of
the adjustment to the Celiac's diet. Also good was it helped with being
able to sleep through the night.  Before Remeron would wake up about
2:00 AM.   Doctor switched to Wellbutrin and now not craving food as
much but awake at 2:00 AM or so.  Now it is suggested by the doctor to
take some Remeron at night to help with sleep.

---Serzone

1)  Had taken Serzone with no reaction and it is GF.

2)  Been on Serzone for a little less than two years.  It has worked
wonders.  Have not been depressed for over a year now.  Has had some
minor problems with anxiety as well.  "So for me, Serzone was my
"miracle" drug."

---Effexor

1)  Been on Effexor for about 2 years now.  Noticed a decrease in sex
drive but it hasn't disappeared completely.

*Some people use Effexor in combination with other antidepressants to
help control the anxiety especially at first before the antidepressant
has time to be effective.  When I took Effexor, it did help with the
anxiety but I still did not feel like it controlled it well enough.  I
was at the maximum dose of 225 mg. daily.  I had no sexual interest any
longer while on it.  I had such severe withdrawal symptoms from probably
going off of it too fast.  I had depression after going off of it where
I had no real depression before I started it, just real bad anxiety.
Which leads me to believe that my anxiety may be just an underlying
symptom of depression.  I have been on Wellbutrin now for approximately
4 weeks.  First week dosage 150 mg daily, time release.  Second through
the fourth week 100 mg twice daily, time release.  Now in the fifth
week, I am going up in dosage to 150 mg twice daily.  I felt a couple of
good days last week which give me hope that this drug will work for me.
It also gives me a lot of energy and a stimulating type of feeling which
has allowed me to get lots of things done around the house and in the
garden. My doctor will give the Wellbutrin a fair try and I agreed to
take Neurontin at night to help me sleep.  I took one last night and it
did, I slept through the night and feel asleep easier.  It is supposed
to be a "mood stabilizer".  I am hoping it will help with the anxiety I
still feel.  I am not an anxious and hope that that will disappear as
the depression does.