From:
Graven Water <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graven Water <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 21:13:37 -0500

     Some people thought you can pick up vitamin D here and there in your diet.
   This just isn't true. There are only a few food sources of vitamin D.  In
the US, liquid milk has to be fortified with vit. D by law.  Some dried milk
has vit. D, some doesn't.  Some cereals are fortified with vit. D.  I think
milk and cereal are fortified because they're children's foods - the government
is trying to protect children from rickets.  Some fish has vit. D - for example
if you ate 4 ounces of mackerel every day, you would get the U.S. RDA.   Or if
you took a teaspoon of cod liver oil every day.  You would have to be eating a
pretty milky, fishy diet to get your vitamin D.
     Vitamin D is toxic in large amounts - so if you think you're deficient,
don't take a lot to make up for it.  A doctor might recommend you take a lot of
it, but they should do regular blood tests to keep track of your vitamin D
level.  I read that it's pretty safe to take up to 2000 IU per day on your own.
  The U.S. RDA is 400 IU per day.  I asked a family doctor, who said they
suggest 400-800 IU per day for middleaged women.  Vitamin D is a hormone - it's
not something one would take a megadose of any more than - one hopes! - a
megadose of estrogen or testosterone ...  The beneficial effects I talked about
may just apply to curing a vitamin D deficiency.  It doesn't mean that more is
better.
   You could think of vitamin D as stored-up sunlight.  You can wander around
under the sun and catch it yourself; you could catch the sunlight the fish have
stored for you, or you can get the sunlight from a vitamin bottle.
    I live a lot on exotic Latin roots - like name', cassava, malanga, batatas
(which are a starchy kind of sweet potato that's scrumptious), because I never
ate them while I was eating gluten, so I can eat them now without getting
sick.  Some people have asked where you get that kind of thing.  The answer
is, a lot of grocery stores have a tropical foods supplier.  They can special
order a box of it for you.  I have a big freezer and I buy 40 or 50 pounds of
roots at a time, and I peel them and cut them into little pieces and put them
in freezer bags.  Sometimes stores have these roots in the produce
section. The unusual fruits and vegetables that I eat are expensive, but
at least the starches aren't; most of the Latin roots are $1.49 a pound.
Laura