From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:33:35 -0400

My husband and I got back recently from sailing (our sailboat) from Rock Hall, MD to Norfolk, VA and back, with about 10-14 other sailboats (varied). This took us 16 days, staying at anchorages (and sharing food) and staying at marinas, along the way. I haven't chatted with more than a couple of boaters on our listserv (one in Alaska and one on Long Island Sound), but just in case you happen to be in the area of these restaurants, I figured I'd share.

While bluecrabs and crabcakes are the favorites on the Chesapeake Bay, I don't like "cracking crabs" and I know of only one place to get gf crabcakes (a few miles, by car, from where I keep my boat..Harbor House Restaurant, Worton, MD.)  There are plenty of good crabhouses on the bay, but our cruise didn't include that. I typically ordered steamed shellfish (make sure it's not in beer!), steak (no sauces) or salmon (be explicit about preparation). I made lots of chicken and froze it before hand, for meals on the boat, so I didn't order chicken on land.

Before our group headed south, we were given a list of marinas and restaurants. I phoned all of the restaurants ahead of time to confirm they could do gf, and had no problem. Places in tiny, remote towns were still able to do gf, but you still need to be alert and responsible...and patient.

Toby's Restaurant in Deltaville, VA...While I got my gf meal, the place was overwhelmed by our group of about 24 people (although they knew in advance), and we happened to hit them when they were out of fresh fish. I had shrimp and grits, which was good, but the girl got confused and when she gave away the crouton-free salad, she attempted to pick out the croutons of another one, to give me. We caught her in the act, and she got me a fresh salad. I'm not sure I'd go back, but it was recommended by the local marina. Half the group (not celiac) either had terrible meals or terrible service. Half was pleased.

The Galley in Deltaville, VA. Our large group was accommodated quite well, and I had really good steamed crab legs and crab meat, and I forget what else.

The Deck Restaurant in Portsmouth, VA at Tidewater Yacht Marina. (I forget what I had with our huge group, but I remember it was good. We went back there the second night and had dinner there on our own.)
Lunch across the river was at Joe's Crabshack in Norfolk. While the management and chef accommodated me, they knew absolutely nothing about the fact that Joe's Crabshack (it's a chain) has a gf menu, and I had to explain gf to them from A to Z. They were hospitable, but knew ZERO. I can't believe there are no people with celiac in the Norfolk area. Maybe ya'll just don't go down to the waterfront to eat. (Nauticus Museum is worth the visit.)

Tides Inn Resort and Marina, Irvington, VA. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner there. $$$, but was able to get meals. One huge salad came out with a hunk of bread, and they had to redo it. On our first night, they just forgot to add something. Since they do weddings and stuff, you'd think that our 3 dozen people wouldn't befuddle them.

Trick Dog Cafe, near Tides Inn, in Irvington, VA. Dinner. The chef was introduced to our large crowd by his mother. She was very proud. The food was good, and they managed to do gf. Mom said they get requests frequently. I'm pretty sure I had a salmon meal here.

Stoney's Fisherman Inn at Solomon's, MD. Very noisy. Terrible service, but consider we had a group of 39 people, by that time in the trip. (They knew we were coming.) My meal was o.k., but I was getting tired of ordering steamed crab legs and/or shrimp. There are other restaurants to go to in Solomons, that I've liked more.

Trip ended. We headed off to meet friends. Went to Bay 100 on Knapps Narrows, Tilgman, MD. We've been here lots of times. They can do gluten-free, but how much they understand depends upon the waitstaff. Consider this was July 5th....summer help. But my meal was o.k.

If you're a boater and want to know what I did for the rest of the meals, cooking ahead and finishing up on the boat, contact me directly.  On our "long cruises" with the group, we eat breakfast and lunch underway, but dinner is with the group, on someone's boat, in the middle of our "raft", if we're not on land. Our "social director" assigns us themes and courses well before we depart.. So it takes lots planning to go with this group, but it's a load of fun.

There is another gf guy in our group, but he doesn't have celiac, cheats unbelievably, and I've given up being his watchdog or sharing my private gf stash with him. .

I must add that on this cruise, one of the other women (not gf at all), called me over on our first night and said to take the chocolate biscotti and her brownies before anyone contaminated them. She actually made gf dessert so that my buddy and I could have and no-one would be the wiser. However, she used regular Quaker oats in the brownies, so I skipped them. I'm still waiting for the great biscotti recipe. On another night, when we were making side dishes to share, she handed me a small bowl of kasha (buckwheat...which is gf), told me how she prepared it, and said she put it aside for me, before she added pasta bowties to the rest of the kasha. Isn't that nice?!

Lin