From:
David Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 11:02:41 -0500

One thing I can say is that coeliac diet does not make significant
changes in people suffering from bi-polar disease in the short term at
least. My coeliac wife Karin's late older brother was bi-polar, his son
and her late sister's youngest daughter both suffer from bipolar
disease. Erik (Karin is Danish) was a very well-controlled B-D sufferer.
When his daughter was small, it was believed that she was a coeliac and
the whole family ate GF meals for some time. This made no difference to
him and he had at least one of his problem periods when he decided that
he was well again and stopped taken his medication, during this period
(this is a scenario all those who live with B-D people get to know).
Soeren, his son came over and stayed with us here in the UK for a while
and ate totally GF while he was here. He's a poorly controlled B-D
sufferer and spent the entire time shut in our front room with the
curtains closed. No effect of any sort was noticed during the short time
he was with us.

Whether or not some B-D sufferers also suffer from CD is in my view an
open question, but I am certain that gluten is definitely not relevant
for all B-D.

Regards

David

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Protection Adviser
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209
E-mail [log in to unmask]