From:
Kelley Vasaturo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelley Vasaturo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2005 20:59:16 -0400

I received 3 replies regarding the gravy. I did not receive any replies
regarding the pudding.

"please follow up to the list with a warning.  NOT all the gravies are
gluten free, from what I've seen on the labels!  So far I only found turkey
gravy to be GF.  hmm."

I looked at the packages again when I went to Whole Foods again. I found the
boxes of Chicken and Beef that had wheat listed as an ingredient. I bought
Turkey gravy.

I also found inaccurate information on their website. They list all of the
gravies as gluten free!

http://www.pacificfoods.com/products-gravies.php

If you click on nutritional info the other gravies have wheat listed as an
ingredient!

"In case you can't find a type (chicken, beef, pork, turkey) of gravy mix
you
like, try using GF flour (rice, all-purpose, etc.).
1. Make a roux first (melt 1/4 cup of butter in a pan and stir in
1/4 cup of GF flour into the melted butter).  This mixes fast so be ready to
pull it off the burner quickly so it doesn't burn.
2.  Then simply add your liquid or broth to the flour and butter
mixture and stir until thickened.  No lumps this way!!
I used to use cornstarch and it didn't work well for me either."

"Also at Whole Foods is Imagine (company name) Creamy Portobello Mushroom
Soup (also in one of those airtight containers), which doubles as a gravy
and is quite tasty. Let's put it this way, even my kids like it."