From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 00:03:14 -0700

Diane Smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Since my initial post about eating oats, several list members
>have written to me about obtaining oats that are not contaminated
>by wheat....at my local grocery store....there is a small health food
>department with bins of bulk prodcuts. At 89 cents a lb. you can buy
>rolled oats from:
>   Heartland Mills
>   Rte 1, Box 2
>   Marienthal, Kansas 67863
>   316-379-4472
>I called the company and they assured me there was no way the oats
would come in contact with wheat or be put in machnery that processed
>wheat.

The Europeans doing the main study on oats published last year were so
concerned about contamination that they obtained a special lot of oats that
had been grown and processed under special conditions.  I thought it would
be helpful to repost something from about a year ago which I felt provided
good perspective on the cross contamination issue.  If anyone on the list
has additional direct experience in this field, please join into the
discussion.

Based on these emails, IF I were to allow my celiac son to eat oats (and I
am not ready to do that yet), I would question the oat provider extremely
carefully.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles