From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2008 12:06:20 -0400

Here are the responses I got about taking milk thistle. Thank you. I'll let you know how my bloodtests come out after I've started it and taken it for awhile.
I'm not sure if I'll go off the Zocor and just rely on milk thistle to control cholesterol levels. Much as I hate taking so many meds a day, I heard a doc speaking on public radio at a convention, and he said that while there is controversy over whether or not the statins really lower your risk of heart attack as cholesterol controllers, they found that Zocor still did, not because of it's anti-cholesterol power, but because it acts as an anti-inflammatory of the blood vessel linings.  A side note...The medication I take for bones (Evista...Raloxifene), which I was considering stopping, because a new study said that if you take those drugs for 10 years (I have), you can stop without reducing bone mass, is also a breast cancer preventative and recently has been connected to a lower incidence of Alzheimers. Who knows. (rhetorically speaking). But I'll try the milk thistle. See if it cancels out the negative effects on the liver that all of the drugs have. Thanks, again. Lin
  a.. My nutricionist told me to take it...3 pills a day..for several months.  She
  said everyone should take this because of the garbage in our air and food,
  past meds.   You take 3 for several weeks then cut it to 2, then 1 and then
  1 a week.  Take it after you go drinking.
  b.. I took Nature's Path Milk Thistle after having high liver enzymes.  It worked!  That's all I can tell you.  Md's didn't know WHY I had elevated enzymes. . . and wouldn't agree that it was the Milk Thistle that lowered them!
  c.. I  have taken  milk thistle for years for my liver, which was damaged after
  working in a factory around heavy metals and solvents. My  doctor said that
  the  toxic metals in my liver never will leave and my liver will always be
  damaged from it. So, she recommended that I take milk thistle anytime my
  body is stressed with an infection. Another doctor said that Advaclear works
  much better. I am not sure that either really works, but  my annual blood
  tests do not show  elevated liver enzymes, so I guess that is a good sign of
  liver health.
  d.. Read Anne Louise Gittleman books, including Fat Flush.
  e.. It's part of the Ultrametabolism Diet.   http://meals.ultrawellness.com/81/    or   1-888-858-7251 and mention that you are looking to use the meals program to follow UltraMetabolism.