From:
"Susan K. DeVries" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 16:29:52 -0500

I asked these questions

1.  Does anyone know how to remove the gas from beans?

2.  Is it possible to buy beans that the gas has been removed already?
How much do they cost and where do you get the beans?

3.  Are there some beans that are good for making flour that may give you
less gas than others?

These are the responses

*let the beans soak overnight in cold water.  You'll see the gas bubbles
on top.  It helps to keep changing the water every few hours, so maybe
you''d want to do this during the day.  Also there is a herb you can grow
called something like Epazote, which I understand the Hispanic people use
when cooking their beans to get rid of the gas.  I don't know the exact
spelling.

*I heard rinsing them helps. is beano gluten-free? it worked wonders for
my flatulent sister.

*I also found bean flour bread too much bean for my body.  I now make
bread with half rice flour mix and half bean flour mix.  It has a good
flavor, isn't as gritty, is high-protein.  I like it.  We eat a lot more
beans than we did before I needed a g-f diet.  The gas doesn't bother me.

About de-gassing:  I think you can increase gradually the amount of beans
your body can digest without gas being a problem.  The gas is caused by
???  (I think) incomplete digestion of the starches, because of ??? maybe
not enough enzymes for that amount of starch.  (I'm part guessing and part
trying to remember and too lazy to go look it up because I don't know
where to look)  Therefore, it's not so much de-gassing the beans as
increasing the bean capacity in your gut.

*As it happens, I treated my eldest son to lunch today at a very, very
good East Indian restaurant in Vancouver. I asked the owner about your
problem and as he said the answer, I suddenly remembered I had cut an
article out of our local newspaper about a year ago that said the same
thing.

Anyway, the cure for the flour resulting in "gas" is to put a pinch of a
spice called ASAFOETIDA in with the recipe ingredients.  This spice needs
to be stored in an airtight container because it has a VERY strong smell.
You also should also buy it in small quantities.

*Buy some Ginger Root capsules from the local healthfood store.  As the
pot of beans is cooking open a capsule and sprinkle the contents onto the
beans, the ginger root flavor will fade away as the beans cook.  Then just
continue to cook the beans as per the recepie.  Voila!  It is done,

It works with the lentles, the peas and all of the beans.

*I recall mention of this in one of Jane Brody's books. Soaking the beans
in water is supposed to allow the carbohydrate that leads to gas to
dissolve out. I suppose you'd have to let the beans then dry out before
milling them.

Susan