From:
Ellie Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ellie Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:24:12 -0400

We just had a great trip to Alaska!  It helped to be staying with a
gluten-free relative.  I always have snack food and granola!

We were based in Fairbanks.  I may have names slightly wrong.  Stocked up at
Fred Myers, Health Food store (Sunshine Foods?) has Udi's bread.  Best
discovery "Ivory Jacks" has gluten-free menu.  Bakery stuff (good bread)
comes from French Meadow in Minnesota.  (They have Café in the Minnesota
Airport!)

Valdez: Health Food store sells Udi bread and makes sandwiches.  Brook side
B&B friendly, I ate my own granola.  Alaska Café very friendly, seafood with
a Spanish flavor and accent.  We had paella. Enough for lunch the next day.

Sheep Mountain Lodge - good dinner.  We slept just up the road at Majestic
Valley Lodge.  If you plan ahead they will cook gluten-free.  Very friendly
trails and cross country skiing and great views!

One night at historic Copper Center Lodge. Very friendly. Dinner included a
potato dish which was plenty for lunch the next day. Which I needed, bring
your own cooler on wildlife cruise out of Valdez!

Mary's McKinley View, not fancy, interesting history, ate my own granola!

If you don't mind cooler back up don't be afraid of a trip to Alaska.  I ate
salmon almost every day.....

Ellie