From:
Joel Elias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 23:23:23 -0500

The recent posting regarding gas fumes and perfumes reminded me of
several other postings. They are of the general form: 'I have celiac
disease and also  __________ (fill in the blank). Does anyone else (have
or experience) the same thing.'

Since, with some exceptions, we should generally have roughly the same
incidence of most diseases, syndromes, allergies, reactions, etc. as the
general population, I would urge caution in trying to draw any
conclusions about the relationship between CD and other ailments. It is
just too easy to be drawn into the assumption that CD is the cause of
all of our problems. (It could also be dangerous if we assume that an
unrelated problem is just part of living with CD and tolerate or ignore
it.)

Identifying relationships between diseases is a difficult statistical
problem and attempts to do so based on anecdotes are generally
meaningless.

Joel