From:
Jill Tongen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 13:28:10 -0700

I received my gene test results from Enterolab today.  I understand that
I need to be GF for the rest of my life and I understand why.  I will
meet with my family practitioner this week to share the results (he
ordered the test).  I want to be as informed as possible when I go.  I
have a good understanding of the stool test results but I'm confused
about the gene test.  Does anyone know of a place on-line or have info
about the different genes and what they were testing for in this study?
I'd like to understand if I'm positive with all the genes or only some
of them (does that make sense?).  Any direction you can give is greatly
appreciated.  Below are my results:

Thanks,
Jill (Texas)

Gene Test for Gluten Sensitivity
         Molecular analysis:
    HLA-DQB1 0609, 0302

   Serologic equivalent:  HLA-DQ 1,8  (a subtype of 1,3)

Interpretation:

HLA gene analysis suggests that you have a genotype that predisposes to
gluten sensitivity (HLA-DQ1,3 especially that involving DQB*0302, also
called DQ8) which can cause current or future intestinal damage (i.e.,
celiac sprue), and/or other organ damage via autoimmune mechanisms. This
genotype also can predispose to microscopic colitis and other autoimmune
syndromes.