From:
CurtissAnn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CurtissAnn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:30:07 -0600

Hello, Listmates. Thank you all for your informative replies! You guys are wonderfully generous with your knowledge and time.

Recaping: I asked information about my dental difficulties with deteriorating teeth and the dry mouth/possible Sjogrens Syndrome diagnosis from the doctor. I neglected to mention that I am also hypothyroid and on synthoid; when I began the hormone therapy, my dry skin, hair, nails all improved. Now after gf for over 2 years, I have the fingernails that I longed for all of my life. I have some trouble with dry eyes, but much may be age-related. I have patches of dry skin on my upper arms and buttocks that the doctor diagnosed with a name I've forgotten, but linked it to heredity in families with asthma, which is in my family, so I'm seeing how all this stuff relates.

One person put it perfectly: Welcome to celiac.  I settle myself to deal with this problem. I've begun using Biotene mouthwash, recommended by the dentist and one of you; it is gf. For those of you who use mouthwashes such as Listerine, which contains alcohol-- Stop! Alcohol further dries the mucosa. I use eyedrops each morning and throughout the day, and I use a gf moisturizer mixed with an oil on my skin. I'm already ahead.

Out of sixteen replies thus far, only two reported that their dental deterioration improved after some years of gluten-free. Also there was concensous that Celiac and Sjogrens Syndrome are two distinctly different diseases. If I have Sjogrens, it must be mild, although now I'm more concerned about my mother having it.

Below are a few of the more interesting replies. I'll post a second summary later, as I'm in a hurry now.
Thanks!
There is a Sjogrens list like this one for celiac.  Go to www.dry.org and
you can join the list, search the archives for past postings, or just read
all about Sjogrens.

  I've been GF for 3 years now and also found out about my Sjogren's at the
same time of diagnosis.  Staying GF doesn't help a thing in the Sj. S. world
b/c they are two entirely different auto-immune diseases.  Salagen or Evoxac
(sp?) tablets help the dry mouth.  OTC eye drops help the dry eyes.
Plaquenil helps keep the Sj. S. from progressing so fast.  You have to see a
retinologist every 6 months when taking it to prevent a rare side effect of
the drug.  Topical ointments help with the dry, itchy areas of skin.  I've
also stumbled on something else through a weight loss program I'm on.  If I
take 1 Tbsp. of Essential Oils daily in summer, almost 2 in winter, it
really cuts down on the nasty skin problems I've had with Sj. S.  I hardly
have to use the topical creams at all any more.  I get the oil at my local
Vitamin Shoppe.  It's made by Flora and is called Udo's Oil, after the Dr.
that originally formulated it, Dr. Udo Erasmus.  It's about $18 for a bottle
that lasts a month but that's worth enjoying having smooth hands and not
itching all the time.   My Sj. S. also has caused me neurological problems,
so I'm dealing with a lot more than I've mentioned, treatment wise.  My CD
quickly took a back seat to the Sj. S.  The diet is easy compared to this
other stuff.  I'm feeling pretty good compared to this time of year 3 years
ago, so I'm counting my blessings and enjoying every minute I can.

Yes, Yes and Yes.  I have been GF for seven years (a few yrs your sr.)
and have battled similarly.  Although I now take insulin and a few other
drugs that contribute to this problem, without question do I relate the
two 'conditions'.  I have used Biotene products as creature comforts and
they are good but they do not replace saliva.