From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:15:49 -0500

We had ourThanksgiving tonight (Saturday) because of family availability. Here's the stuffing I used. It came out so good that my non-gf family kept digging in for seconds and thirds. I'm guessing, but I think you can feed 6-8 portions. (I served it in an 8 inch square pan, which it filled fairly generously.)
One 19 oz loaf of Glutino Harvest Corn Bread.   (Note: this is like a white bread made from corn starch and tapioca starch, not a cornbread.) Toast lightly. Cut or tear into cube size pieces.

Mix with  (You can vary these. Doesn't have to be exact. Toss in nuts or cranberries, if you like.)
2 diced carrots
1 diced celery stalk
1 diced large onion
about 6-8 button mushrooms diced
two apples diced (I peel them)

Add spices that you like
salt
pepper
parsley flakes
onion powder
garlic powder
a little thyme (it's strong)
I don't like sage, but many people add that to stuffing. I don't.)

Beat 4 large eggs and mix with 3 cups of water. Mix all ingredients together. I found it really hard to get the bread to absorb the liquids, kept pushing the cubes down into the liquid. But in cooking, the liquid was absorbed and the cubes got mushy...which is how we like our bread stuffing.

I stuffed some in the bird and cooked the rest wrapped in aluminum foil in a pan. (Actually, my bird was small, so I put the foil bundle in next to the turkey, same pan.) I basted the stuffing with turkey drippings, as the bird and stuffing cooked. If you're not making it with a turkey, just bake it in a 350 oven, probably for an hour or so. But I left mine in with the turkey the entire 3 and a half hours.

Note: We like very wet stuffing. If you don't, heat it up in the oven, uncovered before serving, until it dries out to the way you like it.