From:
Hal Grotevant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 09:43:13 -0500

Dear Listmembers, Last week I wrote the list requesting recommendations on
GF travel to Florence, Italy. The responses were incredibly helpful. I
received 12 messages with recommendations, 9 of which were forwarded to me
(with gratitude!) by a listmember who had been there before. I also received
several requests for information from others who plan to go to Florence soon.

Rather than summarize every message, I'd like to highlight where you can
find a few of the most informative ones in the celiac archives.
The first is an excellent summary on the same question submitted by Judith
Beckman this January. It can be found at:
 http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9801A&L=celiac&P=R1982
[If this is too confusing, go to the celiac archives home page
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu   and search on Italy or Florence. There's lots
of good information already there.

Other helpful comments were from Rolf Meyersohn, who traveled to Florence in
1996. His comments are archived at:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9610B&L=celiac&P=R3115

Jim Lyles wrote with a list of celiac groups in Italy, including contact
persons and web sites. If you'd like a copy, I'd be happy to forward it to you.

Many people strongly recommended using the restaurant cards found in the
appendix of Against the Grain, by Jax Peters Lowell. These include
statements in different languages that can be given to restaurant staff,
informing them of your dietary restrictions. Good success was uniformly noted.

Another frequent suggestion was carrying some emergency provisions with you,
both on the plane and during the trip.

A few specific suggestions:
Breakfast Bars from G foods
a light weight cooler to keep drinks and water cold
fruit, cheese, canned tuna, Pamela's cookies from home
A good restaurant lunch to request: tomato salad with mozarella, basil, and
olive oil. One respondent said this is offered in most restaurants and is
very tasty. Bring your own bread or crackers.

A few specific restaurants receiving high praise:
Ristorante i Quattro Amici, at via Orli Oricellari, in Florence
tel#055-215413 (need reservations)
Lafontencina on via Nazionale ("not fancy, but absolutely wonderful)
Trattatoria Guelfa on via Guelfa 103R ("not fancy, but absolutely wonderful)
Oseteria del Cinghiale Bianco, on the other side of the Arno near the Ponte
Vecchio ("superb")
One respondent said "The fact is that the average restaurant in Florence is
fine; the cuisine is not Haute, in any event." That agrees with what I've
been reading in Fodors, etc.

Thanks once again to everyone who wrote. If I have any insights to share
after I return, I'll do so. I leave Monday.
My best, Hal Grotevant in St. Paul