From:
"C. Connolly" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
C. Connolly
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 23:51:36 +0000

Thank you to all of you, and that was many, who took the time to answer my
question about eating food that is cooked in butter which has been melted
down with a bit of (wheat) bulgar.  I appreciate your help in this matter.
The overwhelming answer was to NOT eat any foods cooked in this butter.  I
had already made that decision prior to sending out my question but feel
very comforted knowing you all would have made the same decision.  It makes
it all that much easier to explain to my mother-in-law why I have to say no
to foods I had previously eaten. (she completely understands)
Many people asked me why she does this to her butter and some asked why not
use store bought unsalted butter.  I asked her today to explain this to me
so I could pass it on to those of you who are interested.
The process is an old tradition dating back to her girlhood days in Lebanon.
  In Lebanon they boiled down yogurt butter with a small amt. of bulgar to
not only get the salt out but it also got out all the dirt and other
undesireables in the butter.  Today she still maintains that tradition in
her cooking even though it is with store bought butter.  She says she can
taste the difference in the foods she cooks with it.  She does however also
use store bought unsalted butter but there are certain dishes, ex. rice that
the butter w/ the bulgar is her choice of butter.
Below is copied and pasted from an email I got that you may find of
interest.
Carol

IT IS POSSIBLE TO "COOK DOWN"BUTTER, MAKING A PRODUCT CALLED GHEE.  IT IS
USED IN INDIA ALL THE TIME.    ONE JUST SLOWLY WARMS THE BUTTER AND LETS IT
ALL MELT.  THEN SET IT ASIDE AND LET IT COOL.  aLL THE MILK SOLIDS WILL
SETTLE TO THE BOTTOM.  THEN ONE CAREFULLY  SKIMS THE BUTTER FAT OFF THE TOP
AND STRAINS THE RESULTING LIQUID INTO A CONTAINER.  IT CAN BE SAVED FOR
MONTHS IN THE REFRIGERATOR OR FREEZER.  THE ABOVE DIRECTIONS ARE TAKEN FROM
JOY OF COOKING BY ROMBAUER AND BECKER, PUB BY BOBBS MERRILL