From:
Connie Sarros <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sarros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2011 16:43:41 -0400

The xanthan gum debate began when I posted that Authentic Foods xanthan gum
is corn-free.  I obtained this information from their website.  When the
claim was challenged, I spoke with Steve at Authentic Foods.  In fact, we've
talked quite a bit this past week.  Here is his input on the issue:

Steve explained that people allergic to corn will not have a problem with
his Xanthan Gum.  “To produce xanthan gum,  bacteria is fed a sugar solution
(glucose).  Sometimes this sugar syrup is made from corn which contains no
corn proteins.  It is corn proteins that trigger allergic reactions.
Because this corn syrup has no corn proteins, people allergic to corn will
not have a reaction.  After the bacteria has replicated, the sugar syrup
(glucose) is then washed away by filtration.  The remaining bacteria is then
killed by pasteurization leaving it to go through a series of reactions to
extract the outer cell wall of the bacteria producing xanthan gum.”

I would like add a personal comment.  I sincerely appreciated all of your
comments.  I truly was overwhelmed with the number of responses.
Individuals wrote to me with their personal experiences and companies wrote
to me sending me the data they had on xanthan gum.  Each person with a corn
allergen has to look at the facts and make up their own mind as to what
products they will use.  Using gluten as an example again, Dr. Fasano stated
that 20 ppm is a reasonable amount of gluten for "most" people.  Some
celiacs are highly sensitive and this amount of gluten will affect them
adversely.  This same principle holds true for corn allergies. or any
allergies for that matter.  Some people can tolerate more than others.  I've
researched this as best I could.  I will not be posting anything further
regarding xanthan gum.

Connie Sarros
Gluten-free Cookbooks
www.gfbooks.homestead.com