From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:51:18 -0800

Hi All--

  For those of you who know me from this list, I'm at it again! I'm trying to concoct my own bread recipe and need help. For those of you who don't know why I would want to do this when there are so many good mixes out there, I can't tolerate one or more ingredients in most or all of those mixes. I think Bread from Anna is super, but the bean flours constipate me, rice and tapioca breads don't taste good to me, so....

  I put together ingredients for bread on Sunday, which wasn't terrible, but the recipe needs some tweeking - the baked product was a little dry and there wasn't much taste. This is the recipe:

  2 c. Montina blend flour (Montina flour, tapioca starch, white rice flour)
  1/2 c. potato starch flour
  1/2 c. Quinoa flour
  1 envelope GF yeast (SAF)
  1 c. almond milk
  1 tsp. salt
  1-1/2 tsp. guar
  2 eggs plus additional egg whites to equal 3/4 c.
  2 Tbs. oil
  1 tsp. vinegar

  I proofed the yeast in 1/2 c. warm water with 1 tsp. sugar. I combined all of the dry ingredients. I used a Kitchenaid mixer to cream the eggs, added the milk, then the dry ingredients and yeast mixture. The consistency of the dough was exactly the same as what one gets with a Bread from Anna mix - not dry, not liquid - just soft and pliable. I used a commercial, heavy gauge 8-1/4" x 4-1/4" non-stick bread pan, sprayed with Pam and dusted with brown rice flour. The loaf was placed in a cold oven to rise. When the dough was just barely above the top of the loaf pan, I took the bread pan out and preheated the oven to 375 degrees (the dough didn't look as though it would be stiff enough to rise any further without spilling down the sides of the pan). I baked the bread for 70 minutes.

  The bread didn't rise any higher and the crust was thick and crunchy. I don't seem to have problems with Montina and Quinoa, which is why I used these flours with the rice, tapioca and potato starch. When I underwent allergy testing in 1980, I tested positive to Amaranth, so I don't use that, and I prefer not to use soy or corn starch. The bread didn't have that great yeasty taste or aroma, so do I need more yeast? Do I need to use a powdered milk instead of liquid? A year ago I thought I was sensitive to yeast, but found out by elimination that my sensitivity is to legumes. At least I don't think yeast is a problem - this is yet another step in my investigation process. I'm keeping the yeast and getting rid of the bean flour, which I know is a no-no.

  Can any of you wonderful bakers out there tell me how to get a taller loaf that is a bit moister, with not such a crunchy crust and with more flavor? I know I'm asking a lot, but just figuring out the flours I could use has been a year-long investigation for me.

  Any help or suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated! I'll be glad to summarize.

  Thanks and Cheers,
  Ayn in Alabama