From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:04:06 -0500

Thank you very much to everyone who replied.  I asked for a casein free
alternative to evaporated milk - to be used in a pumpkin pie recipe.  I
posted a summary early on Thanksgiving Day, but have received a number of
additional responses that I wanted to pass on.

SUMMARY:
I recieved three recipes for evaporated milk made with soy milk.  Also, the
following substitutes were suggested:
Soy milk (2)
Coconut milk (2)
Almond milk (1)
Coffee mate mixed with water (1) NOTE:  Coffee mate is NOT casein free
Soy milk with dry soy baby formula added (1)

One person pointed out that a crust wasn't necessary with pumpkin pie.
One person suggested a gf gingersnap crust, which sounds like a perfect
complement to pumpkin custard.

EVAPORATED MILK RECIPES
from www.silkissoy.com
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups Silk Soymilk

Instructions:
Bring to a boil over a medium heat, stirring constantly until the volume is
reduced to 1 cup. Cool and refrigerate.

Serving Size: 1 cup
Preparation Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 15-20 min
______________

"I have a great recipe substitute for evaporated milk that I use for the
Libby's Pumpkin Pie recipe.  No-one has ever had a clue that it wasn't the
'real deal'.  I have never gotten into making crusts so I make mine without
and it holds up beautifully.

Mock Evaporated Milk

1 Cup boiling water
2 Cups Better Than Milk Soy Powder
1 and 1/3 Cup sugar
6 Tbsp. melted butter or margarine
A few drops of vanilla

Pour the water, butter, and vanilla into a blender.  Add the soy powder and
sugar.  Beat on high until thickened.  Makes 24 oz.,  enough for 2 Libby's
Pumpkin Pies.

I use Nucoa margarine as it is GF and completely dairy free.
I also make 'Pumpkin Mousse' with the pies.  Scrape the pie into a large
bowl, add some Cool Whip.  Beat with a mixer until blended.  Serve in
custard cups with a dollop of Cool Whip.
Maybe you can try this for Christmas!"
____________

"use soy milk, add sugar, and add some cornstarch to the cold soy milk,
then simmer until thick, stirring constantly."

OTHER RESPONSES
"Last time I made pumpkin pie I used the recipe on the Libby's can of
pumpkin and just substituted soy milk (vanilla Silk) and it was good!"

"the next time you make a  pumpkin pie, you might want to try a can of
coconut milk. It tastes  great. The full fat variety makes the better pie in
my opinion."

"I use coconut milk instead of cream in ALL my recipes ... it works fine!
You can't generally taste the coconut."

"Twice now I have made the most delicious pumpkin pie using almond milk,
which I make myself by processing almonds in water:  I used about 1 cup
almonds to 2 cups water.  I threw the whole thing into the pie, pieces of
almonds and all.  It works fine, and gives a gentle special taste to the
pie.  I recommend it.
I didn't have to add anything special to make the custard work.  (I also use
powdered egg whites instead of whole eggs - no problem!"

"I added dry powdered soy milk (baby formula) to soy milk to get what I
though would be the equivalent of evaporated milk and it worked. "

"My grown son with celiac likes crustless pumpkin pie "