From:
Caroline and Ken <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 22:14:09 -0800

I received just a few responses to my question about nut free, gluten free
cookies, but I learned two important things:
First, the makers of Glutano products (whose products I purchased often)
informed me that there is a risk of cross contamination from nuts with all
of their Glutano-brand products.  And secondly, all of Enjoy Life Foods
products are gluten free and nut free as well as free of dairy, casein, egg,
soy, corn, nuts, potato, gmo's, hydrogenated oil, artificial anything, or
worries - made in a gluten-free & peanut-free bakery.  Their website address
is www.enjoylifefoods.com.  I originally saw them on Miss Roben's website at
www.missroben.com.)

Here is a summary of the reviews I received on gluten free, nut free
cookies:

1.      On Enjoy Life Chocolate Chip Cookies and Enjoy Life No Oats "Oatmeal"
Cookies...The No Oats are fantastic (and my 5 & 10 year old non-celiac
tasters agreed)--I will be reordering. The Chocolate chip were not as
good--will NOT be reordering. Although you did not ask about them the Double
Chocolate Cookies were good, just not as good as the No Oats but still a
keeper.

2.      All of Aunt Candace's products are FABULOUS, our absolute favorite.  They
have a website (www.auntcandicefoods.com), and can ship, if you find they
are the very best cookies on the planet as we do.  They are in Wilsonville,
Oregon and I can buy a lot of their products at the Whole Foods and New
Seasons markets here. I am a most grateful customer.  (I have also seem
these at Miss Roben's.)

3.      BTW an easy cookie that keeps well is the cornstarch based recipe from
Brazil. I vary it with sprinkles, chocolate chips, etc. and if you can use
butter they will apparently work as a cutout type of cookie. I have found
they will keep on the counter for weeks and are easy enough for a child to
do everything except the baking. I need to post how I do this to the list
since I make it slightly differently from what has been posted to the list.
If you want the recipe let me know and I will use that as a push to send it
to the entire list.  (I have asked this list member to share the recipe.
Hopefully, we'll see it soon!)

Frookies, Kinnikinnick and Pamela's cookies were also mentioned, but
unfortunately, could have cross contamination from nuts.  For those of you
who don't need to worry about nuts, here are some opinions about these
products:

1.      I and my daughter like the cookies made by Pamela's in S. San Francisco,
Calif. Their web site has a list of their products and ingredients here:
http://www.pamelasproducts.com/products.html .

2.      We have tried several cookies from Kinnikinnick (their web is
http://www.kinnikinnick.com/welcome.html) and loved the Wolfesbrand Almond
Cookies (no nuts, just almond flavoring - don't know if that would work for
you) and Montana's Chocolate Chip Cookies.

3.      My celiac family likes the All Natural Frookies...Call 1-888-FROOKIE for
more information.  As a non celiac, I agree that they are good.  The brand,
Pamela's, is also very good.

Thanks to all those who responded and I hope others find this information
helpful.

-- Caroline in Washington State, USA