From:
Marshall Lasky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marshall Lasky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 12:06:28 -0400

Re: my posting - dated Aug 26th, but posted in CELIAC Digest - 1 Sep
2009 - Special issue (#2009-359)

Asking:  "I wondering if anyone else seems to have problems with
Namaste mixes?" -  (especially the Blondie Mix):
Here's the summary for the 7 responses to date:

** Problems with Namaste mixes: 2 people
- One said

- The other said:
> I had decided it was only me.  I don't use the mixes any more
> because they effect me.

Neither one reported trying to find out what was causing their problems.

** No problems with Namaste mixes (and love them):  4 people
Theses 3 people were all enthusiastic about Namaste mixes, especially
the Spice Cake mix used to make carrot cake, although one did mention
that she is "not fond of the Blondies mix." --- Connie Maltin said:
> I love Namaste mixes - the Spice Cake is my favorite.  I make a
> coffee cake out of it and also a carrot cake.  I also love the
> Blondies.

** Suggested cause of adverse reactions:  1 person
- No one suggested any issues of gluten contamination with Namaste
mixes.
  --- One person did not say anything about her experience with
Namaste, but suggested
> It's possible to have an adverse reaction to tapioca...Not common
> but possible.

Comment:
Namaste Blondie Mix does list "tapioca flour" as an ingredient.  But
this doesn't account for my problems:  I frequently use Pamela's
Baking and Pancake Mix for pancakes, waffles and other things --
(most recently after my reaction to the Blondies) and don't have any
problems with the "tapioca starch" in Pamela's.
NOTE: The terms  "tapioca starch" and "tapioca flour" refer to the
exact same thing.  (Whereas "potato starch" and "potato flour" and
"corn starch" and "corn flour" most definitely are different things.

** Other Responses about Namaste:
One of the people who reported no problems with adverse reaction to
Namaste, BUT - was upset & won't buy again, because"
> I made the Blondies for the first time ...  cooked them at
> temperature and ... time listed on the bag (actually ... 5 to 6
> minutes longer).  A toothpick came out clean at the center so ...
> cooled them for an hour.  [but]  they were so gooey and appeared to
> not be done. ... We ate some of them around the edges and I didn't
> suffer any problems but I plan to throw the rest out.  Probably
> won't buy this expensive item again.

Comment: I've had the same problem with Namaste Blondies coming out
gooey in the center when using a pyrex baking dish..  I have dealt
with it by raising the oven temp 25 F and cooking them @ 6-10 minutes
longer.  (My wife, who is not celiac, actually likes them somewhat
gooey.)

Marshall