From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:54:36 EDT

One of the inconveniences that I don't like about gluten flours is the
mixing.  Buying them already mixed is an expense.  I would often want to bake
something and find I did not have enough mixed flour, and then took a large
pot and poured the various flours in and tried to mix them.  I was never sure
if I got all the flour from the bottom and as I mixed, flour seemed to fly
everywhere.  It was a pain.

I found a shortcut that really shortens the job and is much cleaner. I use
two new garbage bags and insert one in the other to avoid any accidental
puncture or weakness in the bag.  Then I pour the various flours into the bag
I use the Bette Hagman suggested flour mix. I put 12 pounds of rice flour, 4
pounds of potato starch flour and 2 pounds of tapioca flour into the bag.
(but of course, any mixture you like will do and obviously one doesn't have
to make 18 lb. at once) Then I tie the bags securely.  I roll it around,
massage it and turn it upside down and I feel that I get the flour mixed much
better with no mess. What I don't put in my flour canister, I put in the
freezer in the summer months, to avoid moths getting into it.  It is fast and
easy and I always have flour at hand. Many people don't have that much
freezer space.  I would also recommend to newbie's that they get a good sized
freezer so that when you cook or bake, always cook a little more and freeze
it so there is always something on hand for a quick meal.  My old freezer
seemed to be too small when I started preparing ahead.  I just got another 19
square foot freezer from a garage sale for $60, so look around if it is an
added expense.

Carol in NJ