From:
Donna Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:57:26 EDT

well listmates i had more responses wanting more info about using and buying
almond flour than answers to my question...as far as almond flour goes -i
have purchased it thru almondsonline.com as they had the best prices i
found..i have only started to experiment with it..but there are recipes in
the archives..and the book 'breaking the vicious cycle'....

ok..the gum quiestion:

*one person said they always used xanthan but recently changed to guar and
likes it better but didnt say why...

*Sully's Living Without will feature this very topic in an article scheduled
to run in the fall (November) issue. The article is written by our Associate
Food Editor, cookbook author (she's written three) , publisher (The Savory
Palate) and special diet expert, Carol Fenster, Ph.D. It is a fantastic
article - look for it!

P.S. The fall issue will also contain a really enlightening article on
getting enough fiber in your g-f diet by g-f chef, Beth Hillson (owner of the
Gluten-Free Pantry.) And we'll be featuring a very informative piece on
baking without sugar and how and what sugar substitutes to use when and why
by culinary wiz, Jay Berger (owner of Miss Roben's.) What a line up!

*Guar gum and Xanthan gum essentially do the same thing...they help bind
the GF flours together so your muffins and cakes don't crumble.  Guar
gum is gluten-free, but in some people it acts as a laxative--and that's
the LAST thing a celiac needs!  That is why xanthan gum is usually used.
If you don't have a bad reaction to guar gum, go ahead and use it.  Just
a hint:  If you find you are out of both gums, try using double the
amount of Knox gelatin; it works pretty well as a substitute.

*If you want to see the difference in the two, I suggest you add 1 tsp
of guam gum to 1 cup of water, and a teaspoon of xanthan gum to another.
Mix well.  Immediately after mixing, experiment with the feel & texture
by feeling and touching.  Then let them set for half an hour or so and
repeat the process.  My bet is that the guar will kind of set up like
metamucil while the xanthan stays a slimey liquid... (You can do similar
experiments with the starches by cooking 1 Tbs. of various starches--
corn, potato, tapioca, sweet rice, etc. w/ 1 c. water--checking
consistency when hot & cold and when stirred.)

My son make his pizza crust with a 50/50 mix of guar & xanthan. Dough not as
slimey & bakes drier than with xanthan alone.

*I used xanthan gum initially and then decided to try guar gum because it was
cheaper.  I had read to use them in equal amounts so that is what I have
done.  I have not noticed a difference.  A few times I have cut back some
(though not half) on the amount called for with no noticeable change.

*I have been cooking wheat/gluten free for over 7 years now for my son.  When
I was diagnosed about 5 years ago I figured out what was bothering me in the
bread I was baking.  Xanthan Gum.  Since then I been using Guar Gum.  Same
amount as stated for xanthan gum.  I use it in my cookies, cakes, pizza,
muffins.  No problem.

Today I bought both xanthan and guar gum, The xanthan was less than 5 US
dollars and the guar gum was 3.50 US dollars.

* it would seem they pretty much work the same way and it seems it
varies whom can tolerate it or not..i personally have had no ill effects
from guar gum at all..but id guess you have to try it and see... no one
really said one works better than another in recipes

take care listmates and as usual-thank you for your responses
donna in ny