From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 2009 17:40:14 -0700

Dear Listmates,

I just borrowed a new GF baking book from my local library's new books
shelves: Easy Gluten-free Baking by Elizabeth Barbone, Lake Island Press.
From my research, Elizabeth is the proprietor behind
www.glutenfreebaking.com, a paid-subscription gluten-free baking site. I
can't attest to the site because I'm not a member of that community, and I
don't know Elizabeth. However, I did want to share a quick book review.

We've stopped buying GF cookbooks, but this might be one we would like to
own (maybe). Elizabeth's recipes seem practical, straight-forward, and
fortunately not that challenging. Also, the ingredients are pretty
available, except for maybe sweet dairy whey which is sold over the internet
both on the east and west coasts - Bob's Red Mill and Berry Farms. Although
we haven't yet made any of her recipes yet, many do fit our style of
cooking. Her white bread recipe contains identical ingredients (don't have
any idea about proportions) to Whole Foods box mix white bread, which is a
pretty good bread. Elizabeth said she worked hard the white bread recipe,
and it is one of her best. By the way, she is not celiac, but that is really
of no consequence. More by the way, the Whole Foods bread can be improved by
a couple of teaspoons of sweet rice flour - gives the bread a bit more
stretch and fewer crumbles.

There are a number of interesting recipes for familar forbidden goodies:
honey maid graham crackers, twinkies, oreo cookies, Girl Scout thin mints to
name just a few.

But be warned. Beyond the breads, which have normal ratios of fat to total,
the goodies are generally pretty rich in eggs and butter. Oh yes, if you
can't have dairy, eggs or butter, this baking book is not for you. But if it
is for you, check it out. The pictures clearly show the end result, and the
preparation steps are clear.

You can get the book for a bit over $16 from both Overstock and Amazon.
Overstock's shipping rates can be lower. But if possible, first check the
book out from your library like I did.

Vic-Sunnyvale, CA

*******
*******