From:
"Elizabeth B. Frierson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 12:19:43 -0500

The 23 January issue of the NY Times has an article on pps. 1&3 of the
Science Times/C Section which raised a lot of interesting possibilities for
understanding gluten reactions.  The title is "Complex and Hidden Brain in
the Gut Makes Stomachaches and Butterflies", and the article deals roughly
with neural receptors, neurotransmitters in the gut, the notion of a "blood
brain barrier", and in the end touches on allergies and autoimmune responses.
My scientist friends love to shoot down Science Times articles for
inaccuracies or for making unfulfillable promises of practical applications
of new research, so could some of our more expert subscribers (a) offer an
opinion on whether these findings have relevance to our respective situations
(gluten intolerance, celiac, allergies) and (b) point us to the relevant
scientific literature?

In the broadest terms, I found the article promising in the realm of
understanding not only the physiological but also the behavioural aspects of
gluten reactivity.

Many thanks,
Elizabeth